Is the Seagate 160 GB SATA HDD not available?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reubs, Jan 16, 2008.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

I'm trying to find a 160 GB HDD for my Macbook, but Amazon doesn't have them new and Newegg only seems to have the open box. I want Seagate, but if I have to go with Western Digital I guess I don't have a choice.

Any ideas here?

Also, sorry if this has been posted...

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

3. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Could just be a supply issue. Are they offering any guidelines to when they would ship?

4. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

I personally use a 250GB Western Digital drive in my Macbook Pro. There's a way you can get it cheap and also keep your old drive usable. Buy one of the portable versions Western Digital makes. They are commonly on sale and are $20-$50 cheaper than their bare retail versions (250GB cost me $150 for the portable one vs $200 for the bare drive at best buy).

The portable drives are SATA and you can put the old drive in the now empty enclosure and use it as a spare.

I know you said you wanted seagate but I figured I'd share anyway.

5. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm thinking that might be the best idea. I only said Seagate b/c in my limited experience of upgrading HDDs I've had Seagates.

I'll look into the WD option, though. Thanks for the heads up.

6. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

I was at Best Buy earlier, and I saw the WD passports and the Seagate Free Agent To Go external portable HDDs. The guy there had no idea about their interface, but I think this could be a workable option. I'm not a computer pro, but I'm guessing opening the case and swapping them out wouldn't be too difficult, right?

Thanks again for the info, and thanks to the poster for the link to OWC.

7. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

Yea its rather easy. They are SATA. You just gotta pry open the case from an edge (its just a snap together plastic case). Inside will be the hard drive, a small USB to SATA Adapter plugged into the drive, and some foil covering/connecting the two together. Peel off the foil and disconnect the adapter. Then drop the drive into the Macbook. Be sure not to cover up any vent holes on the drive. I had to shift a cable slightly to keep the vent hole open on my Macbook pro. Once done you just connect the SATA to USB adapter to the old drive, re-cover with the foil, plop it back in the enclosure, and snap the cover back on.

Here's a few pics I took real quick for reference from a 160GB Passport...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]