Is the seldom occurrence of a pixelated screen a common issue?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bajanteen212, Feb 18, 2011.

1. bajanteen212 macrumors newbie

Hi

Just wanted to know if it was only me who has experienced this. Has anyone else ever had an issue with the computer of a pixelated screen between transitions(Safari on in background)? example: If you select a site from the Top Sites window, and as that site comes up (while it is loading), you see a pixelated screen first? This has occurred twice now and both times I have had several tabs running simultaneously and had previously been watching a video on the Internet. In this case, the problem started when I switched into then out of full screen of the video. What was more odd was that my desktop became pixelated also. The System Preferences window also became pixelated as I went back and forward from System Preferences to Desktop and Screen Saver, as I was I trying to change the desktop picture in System Preferences. I restarted the computer and it seems normal now, but I want to ensure this is nothing too unusual. Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I can't say I've ever seen that behavior. On some pages when you see the images on the page pixelated at first it's because how they were created and the pixelated form is expected. I've not seen this in applications like System Preferences though. It could potentially be a sign that the graphics card is having issues, or maybe the machine was low on resources at the time.

Your install discs have a hardware test program that you can run on your machine. It may turn up something.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Wouldn't you rather have it be unusual? ...I mean, especially for yourself. Like, if it never happens again, would that not please you? And, it's highly unlikely that a "seldom occurrence" would be a "common issue" isn't it? For the record, I've not seen this behavior either. I think it's probably rare, which is a good thing, unless it happens to me.

4. bajanteen212 thread starter macrumors newbie

I WOULD be pleased if it never happens again. However, I know nothing that man makes is perfect and I would hate that this is a problem with MY computer and MY computer ALONE. That would mean that MY computer has a problem and I would NOT be pleased about that. If the case was that this has happened to other users on rare occasions (this is what i mean by a seldom occurrence of a common issue) I would not be so bothered.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

How long have you had this computer? If only a short time, take it to Apple and see what they can do for you. If for a very long time, maybe it's wearing out.

6. bajanteen212 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've had my dear Macbook Pro for 6 months. I would take it to an Apple store but I live in Barbados. But let me say this also, once while I was shutting him down, the task bar (the bar at the top, not sure if that is what it is called) and the dock went away as usual, but the desktop and pointer did not. After waiting for many seconds, I decided to shut it down by holding down the power button, and it shut down, but I found that to be peculiar :S.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That is peculiar.

Task Bar - at the bottom of your Windows OS screen
    Menu Bar - at the top of your Mac OS screen

Do you have AppleCare? Beyond 12 months, sounds like you might need it. If there's no Apple Store near you, how about an authorized Apple repair shop? I'd take it in before the next 6 months go by, and, even if fixed, I'd think real hard about getting Apple Care in month 11.

8. bajanteen212 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will definitely consider, thanks.