Is the series 4 less chunky?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Seanm87, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Seanm87 macrumors 6502

I had the very first Apple Watch stainless steel when it came out. I liked it but found it quite bulky and heavy. I ended up selling it as I needed some cash at the time.

I’m thinking of getting a series 4, I know it is a bit thinner but is it noticeably lighter/comfortable than the old one? How much thinner is it?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

3. techno-Zen macrumors 6502a

techno-Zen

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There literally is no differentiation of determining how thin the Apple Watch by physically holding the Series 4 over the first GEN Apple Watch, they both feel physically exactly the same in the hand, even if there are millimeters of a difference. Nothing drastically changed with the ‘thickness’ on the Apple Watch at all over the course of any model.

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I went from a Stainless Steel Series 0 to a Stainless Steel Series 4 and I didn't really notice a difference.

Personally, if you found the Series 0 Stainless to be uncomfortable, I would go with Aluminum with the Series 4.

6. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

If you didn’t like the first gen then you won’t like the Series 4. The Series 4 is actually thicker than the 1st gen watch.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Which isn’t even noticeable by holding in the hand. If you watched the Series 3 Keynote when it launched, Jeff Williams (COO) stated it was only two sheets of paper thicker, which I suspect the Series 4 shares very similar dimensions in terms of thickness at 10.7mm, where as the Series 3 is 11.4 MM. there’s no way someone could differentiate that type of thickness by holding it in their hand or on the wrist.

8. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Going from a series 3 to 4, I felt the rounded edges gives the illusion of the watch being thinner and sleeker, but I also went from silver aluminum to gold aluminum, so that could be influencing how it appears to me.

I went from 42 to 44 as well, and it still seems sleeker to me. Weird.

9. TotalMacMove macrumors 6502

TotalMacMove

My girlfriend has the series 3 and i have the 4. I can barely tell the difference..