Is the signal thing due to skin? Will case resolve it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by btownguy, Jun 23, 2010.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502a

I can totally reproduce the signal issue in those videos. Hold the phone in my hand...bars slowly drop from 5 to 1. Pinch the phone touching only class, slowly returns to 5 bars. So, all you EE types...is this due to human skin touching the antennas? Will a rubber case (or bumper) resolve the issue?

2. viraldesign macrumors newbie

its a software issue, it currently happens on my iPhone 3G right now. I'm not sure what causes it, but I tried it and it happened.

3. eatbacon macrumors regular

Software Issue? HA!

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Walt Mossberg called Apple about it and they said that it was a software issue that would be fixed soon.

5. eatbacon macrumors regular

Well that proves it then.

6. oakland6980 macrumors member

oakland6980

I sure hope its a software issue. No wonder apple made those bumpers. so we're not in direct contact with their magically revolutionary antenna

7. Coolero macrumors newbie

You're funny. walt must've personally told you that

8. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

It's a great way of tacking on an extra 30 bucks!

9. xmtgx macrumors regular

It was in his review actually, for everyone to see, spoke and written versions of it.

10. protox macrumors regular

Yeah but then you forgot about this bit.

"However, on at least six occasions during my tests, the new iPhone was either reporting “no service” or searching for a network while the old one, held in my other hand, was showing at least a couple of bars. Neither Apple nor AT&T could explain this. The iPhone 4 quickly recovered in these situations, showing service after a few seconds, but it was still troubling."

Which leads me to believe he is talking about this very issue and it's nothing about the software.

11. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

I agree bars to drop on the 3G in a similar fashion, but the calls do not break up and drop. From the very same couch, both gen iPhones do not behave the same. 4 is far worse to the point of unusable.