Is the SIM tied to the phone/IMEI and NFC/ApplePay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuyAZ, Sep 21, 2014.

1. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

A buddy of mine who bought an AT&T iPhone 6 and just swapped out the SIM from his old phone was at an AT&T store and they told him that the new SIM must be used because the old one won't work with the NFC payments.

So my question is...what happens if you use an unlocked phone from Verizon on AT&T and don't register the phone with AT&T and just put in a SIM, even if it's a new SIM that was already activated on AT&T? Will there be problems or there really isn't a way to know right now?

Thinking maybe I should exchange my unlocked Verizon phone for an AT&T.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I bought a T-Mobile version, put my ATT sim in and in a few minutes got this text from ATT.

"ATT Free Msg: Your new device requires a new SIM card to give you access to all services. Please visit your local ATT store to get a new SIM. Thanks."

Not sure what services I'm missing out on. Maybe Apple pay?

3. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

My wife's phone from AT&T got that same message when we just transferred her old SIM over. I called AT&T and they said you have to use the new SIM because the old one doesn't support HD Voice. So I activated and then moved it over to a Verizon phone and didn't get the message on the Verizon phone but I'm worried that it may not work with NFC payments now.

4. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

I called AT&T since mine was a cross upgrade and let them know what I was doing, removing the sim from my 5S and putting it in the iPhone 6. The rep did something on her end and the iPhone 6 shows on the correct line when I log in to my AT&T account. I have not received the text messages others have mentioned, but I'm going to go by AT&T this week and get another sim card just to be on the safe side. However, I did get up the next day to my wife's iPhone 5(the line I used for the cross upgrade) not working. The sim in it had been deactivated and I had to put the sim that came with the iPhone 6 into her phone for it to start back working.

5. ncstatered21 macrumors regular

I was told the SIM was tied to the Apple Pay system.

The reason I believe this is because I was dealing with a new Verizon rep. She was clueless with what she was doing. She was VERY new. So...

I was basically activating the phone myself cause she was clueless. I put in my old SIM from my iPhone 5 because the iPhone 6 wouldn't work the new SIM.

iPhone 6 worked with the old SIM. I get down the road and they call me saying they need a picture of the new SIM and will need to switch back to the new SIM.

BOTTOM LINE: YES according to Verizon the SIM is tied with Apple Pay unless they switch it correctly.

6. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502