Is the six-core CPU in SP Mac Pro the X3680 or X5680?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MythicFrost, Aug 11, 2010.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Is the six-core CPU in SP Mac Pro the X3680 or X5680?

2. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Thanks... What exactly is the difference between the two?

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The X5680 is compatible with dual CPU systems. It's the processor Apple could have put as the top dog in the twelve core Mac Pro had they wanted to.

4. jhmirage macrumors newbie

jhmirage

5. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I think the heat-sink fan combo's in the dual processor systems are only good for 90W of TDP each... the Quad has a bigger heat sink and can handle 130W TDP processors, so I don't think they could have put the X5680 in the DP machines without redesigning the case to accommodate larger HSF's.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

You can drop an DP Nehalem or Westmere in a compliant SP board (has the necessary firmware + socket), and they'll work (second QPI channel shuts itself off). But it's a waste of money.

The reverse is not possible though.

Another possibility, is that a DP board is used with a single DP processor. It can allow for a second CPU to be added at a later time, and systems have actually been sold this way (perhaps still are). But I don't really see this as a good solution (not cost effective, as the parts can get harder to find - particularly the correct cooler-, and won't be covered under the warranty). Either save up for a true DP system (add the second CPU and cooler during the order), or get an SP system and upgrade the whole thing when necessary IMO.