iPad mini Is the slower A5 processor and 512MB RAM causing any checker-boxing on the iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by saintforlife, Nov 2, 2012.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

For people that have had the iPad mini and have been using it for a bit - Do you see any checker-boxing when loading and scrolling web pages? It was annoying as hell on my iPhone 4 which just slowed to a crawl as time went by. My iPhone 5 is significantly faster and snappier than the 4. That is why I am concerned about going back to the slower chip and half the RAM on the iPad mini.

Also on some hands-on videos I saw, certain apps and games seemed to take a long time to load on the mini. How has your experience been? Does the device feel snappy overall? If you had to compare its speed, what would you compare it to - iPad 2, iPad 3 or the iPad 4?

2. nickftw8686 macrumors regular

I have been using it to scroll and surf the web for hours today on it and have not had any issues. Also the apps I have tried load fast enough for my liking. I would say you wont notice a huge difference but everyone has their own standard for what is fast for them when it comes to certain things. I would say go try one out at a store and see how it runs.

I compared the performance in a thread I created to the Nexus 7 which has better specs but I am very happy with the performance of the mini.

3. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Nope, haven't noticed any issues yet. My only concern is when iOS 7 comes out with widgets whether the 512MB will be enough and I am skeptical. But I guess at that point Tim Cook will convince me I need a iPad mini 2.

4. cwosigns macrumors 65816

5. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

It should be just fine with iOS7 because Apple will have to have really good support for the iPhone 4s and that has 512mb of ram also.

6. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

Widgets are coming to iOS 7?

7. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

No nothing has been confirmed yet for that. I hope they do and I know others do as well. Lots of speculation that they might.

8. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Who cares about iOS 7, that's what the Mini 2 is for :p.

9. nfl46 macrumors 603

10. mjcxp macrumors regular

There is some checkerboarding but scrolling is silky smooth.

11. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

5 tabs open here, no checker boarding so far. I could try it with more tabs but that is probably the most I'd have open at one time anyway.

12. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

How is the video playback on the mini? Netflix and other apps like NBC, Watch ESPN etc.? I use my iPhone 5 to watch a lot of videos, especially football games on the weekend on the ESPN app. I am hoping the iPad mini can take over that duty. So, how is video playback on the mini? Smooth and stutter free? Any extra heat on the back of the device when playing video?

Also how do HD videos look? I know it is not an HD screen, but I am guessing it should still look pretty crisp, right?

13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55