Is the Smart Cover case-lock / anchor really that useful?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by anthrovisual, May 3, 2012.

1. anthrovisual macrumors regular

Cases like the Zum, i-Blazon, iSkin solo Smart, etc., with the ability to lock the Smart Cover to the case; is this feature really that useful or more of a gimmick?

I'm not buying into the idea that I'm going pick up my iPad by the SmartCover or accidentally drop it because I was holding onto the wrong end. I'm going to hold the iPad like it was a $1000 device and pick it up with the same care.

So is there anyone out there that can convince me that a locking mechanism is worth choosing such a case over one that doesn't have it?

I just don't see the true benefit.

2. madat42 macrumors regular

It's useful in the idea to turn the back cover and smart cover into a portfolio case. I prefer to be able to remove the smart cover so it's not flopping around.

3. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

I kind of feel that once you've gone that route, you've really acknowledged that you should've bought an all-in-one folio case and saved yourself ~$20-30.

4. notah macrumors newbie

5. anthrovisual, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012

anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

I agree. I feel that if you want the Smart Cover locked in, you shouldn't have gotten a Smart Cover. So these cases really don't make sense to me.

But I guess there are cases (heh) where people have clung to the Smart Cover and dropped the iPad. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1220298

I'm just still not convinced about getting a case that locks in. I feel that it is an either or, either you get a folio type case or you get the Smart Cover and some back protection.

Maybe those who prefer to have the option of a folio with a removable cover for those occasions when you just want to go with the top off, like a convertible.

Than again, convertibles seem to be on a decline...

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But not many folio cases are as thin as Smart Cover + back case.

7. ZipZap macrumors 601

Zum comes off in a second.

I like the lock feature as I feel the cover is more stable. I also think it will minimize to prevent the smart cover scratching.

Now all I need so some clear self stick magnet strips and I am set.

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I prefer the locking mechanism with my Iblason case. Previously, I had only used the smart cover itself and there were times when the cover would come off unexpectedly which proved to be quite annoying for me. I bought a Kensington TPU back cover (w/o locking clips) and that would sometimes make the smart cover shift or detach when flipping the iPad in portrait/landscape mode.

Having the smart cover "permanently" attached or removable is personal choice. Sometimes it's convenient to have it removable and sometimes you wish it was locked into place somehow. I, for one, like having it locked in place .

9. iSong macrumors newbie

Interesting topic. You should create a poll. I don't want to anchor down the smart cover, that's why I bought a KaysCase.

I take the smart cover off as much as I can. What I don't understand is that a lot of people are obsessed with how thin and light the back cases are, and they are comparing 1.1mm to 1.0mm. I assume they think the new iPad is too heavy just as I do, and they still want to permanently attached the smart cover to it?

10. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about doing a poll but I am really interested in the reasons why people choose to lock their Smart Covers in.

I am on the cusp of getting a Smart Cover and back case but I cannot decide whether I want a back case that locks the Smart Cover or not. I assume that the magnets on the Smart Cover are strong enough to hold it in place but I suppose if the cover slips and can easily (frustratingly) become unintentionally detached, then I can begin to see why people want something that prevents accidental detachment.

11. Night Spring, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But you have to remove the entire case in order to remove the smart cover, correct? It's just that it's easy to po the case on and off?

While you are waiting to find a magnetic strip, just tape a paper clip to the back. You might not want to do this as a permanent solution, but it's better than nothing.

It does detach quite easily, if you put any sort of angular pressure on it. I like to read my iPad on my lap with a pillow, and sometimes I fold up the smart cover to prop up the iPad on the pillow, and it'll pop off if I shift my legs. I'm debating getting a cover that locks the smart cover in place -- but I like the feel of my current back cover, so I'm not sure what I'll do.

12. MsBeauty macrumors member

The Smart cover lock is like the seat belt for your ipad. iBlason is just a copycat of ZUM!!

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Smart covers are meant to be taken off so why lock it down? I like folding it in half and like it off.

14. glen e, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012

glen e macrumors 68030

once again, those that do not understand the reason for the lock are speaking from limited experience and looking thru their eyes only. Try traveling with a no lock back , stuffing it in and your of a crammed bag or backpack a few times. The cover comes off and leaves the ipad exposed to zippers, other things in the bag, etc. The lock works very well when you put it away and it does not slide off...or taking it in and out of an airline back seat pocket a few times....