Is the smart cover enough?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by act1980, Mar 29, 2011.

1. act1980 macrumors regular

act1980

I have a mbp and I don't really notice any scratches on it.

How susceptible is the back of the iPad to scratching? I have the smart cover but I'm not sure if that is going to be enough to protect it.

What are your experiences?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Not really answerable in a definitive manner.

Some people use an ipad with no protection at all for months; and it still looks brand new.
    Others can't go 12 hours with a dent or scratch!

Which one of these groups do you fit in? Do you throw your ipad in a bookbag with a bunch of other cr*p, or does it go in an organized briefcase in it's own pocket, or does it sit on the sofa at home and never leave the house? Do you just set it down on any surface be it wood or tile or rough concrete, or do you always pay attention and set it down on something soft or protective?

I tend to only need a little bit of protection on my stuff, so I'm using a smart cover with a BestSkinsEver skin on the back.

3. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Yes.

Keep it in a sleeve when not in use and you'll be good.

4. aperry macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind, unlike your MBP which has little rubber feet on the bottom preventing the aluminum bottom from contacting the supporting surface, the iPad's aluminum rests directly on the table/desk/whetever.

Something as common as pushing your iPad a few inches across a hard surface with one or two grains of sand may yield a scratch.

5. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

I used to have cases protecting my various iPod touches, original iPod, and iPod nano. Now, I am wondering why go to such lengths of protection? Okay, so I get the idea is to protect the metal/plastic skin of the various iDevices from scratches and blemishes but the irony here is that the cases or skin protectors are NEVER removed so we basically end up covering up the beauty of the iDevices never going to enjoy its aesthetics and rather end up looking at blemished skin. That makes no sense at all! We end up not just thinking we're protecting the metal skin of the iDevice but actually just covering up the skin for perpetuity.

So for the new iPad 2 that I'll be getting, I'm only planning on getting the Smart Cover but no case, no screen protector, and no skin. I can't see a point in getting a case to protect a device whose skin we'll never be seeing any way if we end up using a protective covering.

6. C N Reilly macrumors regular

I do keep a cover on my iPhone simply because it's impossible not to at least occasionally have to keep it in some relatively punishing environments (pants pockets, backpacks, etc), plus it's at a much higher risk of being dropped.

But for the iPad? Nah. I did usually keep my iPad 1 in the Apple case, but it was always the screen I was worried about protecting, not the back. No matter what you do, the back is inevitably going to get a scuff here and there, so there's no sense worrying too much.

It's kinda like a new car. You're completely neurotic about keeping it clean and worrying about parking lot dings, until the first time you spill a bit of Dr. Pepper on the passenger seat. Then you start to put it all in perspective and chill out about it.

7. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

The smart cover is not enough to prevent scratches to the back. It will eventually get scratched. If youre worried about this I suggest getting a wrapsol skin, I recently put on the back skin and it fits perfectly,feels great and protects the back adequetly from scratches while still allowing for use of the smart cover.

8. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

This is so true. I remember trying to keep my car clean for the longest time till I spilled a coffee on the seat and it went downhill from there, now I don't even know what creatures on under my seats. lol

9. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

This.

I just installed Bodyguardz film on the back of my iPad2.

10. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I have the smart cover, but place the iPad with the smartcover in a zippered sleeve when transporting.

11. DN7335 macrumors 6502

Smart cover for screen, Best Skins Ever skin for the back, sleeve to carry it in when traveling. Works great. I for one need a skin on the back so I don't have to worry about setting it down on a table or wherever where it might get scratched. Not that that would ruin it, but I like keeping my devices as pristine as possible because I always end up selling them when the newer model comes out. Bring on the iPad 3!

12. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

I just use it and a neoprene sleeve when putting it in a bag etc.

I also don't have kids and I'm not anal about minor scratches as I'm not one who'll be selling and upgrading every year.

13. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I used my iPad 1 all year naked. No scratches on the back what-so-ever. Im a student it's been in bags, cars, trains thrown around all over the place. Not a scratch. The screen has a couple of deep scratches though.

So I'd say use the smart cover and that will be fine. My back is still looking beautiful.

14. act1980 thread starter macrumors regular

act1980

Thanks for the replies. So the iPad screen isn't scratch proof like the iPhone? One way of avoiding scratches on the back is to place the iPad down but screen down with the smart cover on I guess.

15. dmaul1114, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Nothing is scratch proof. But it is very resistant to scratches just like the iPhone.

I also often set my ipad on top of my neoprene sleeve if I'm using it public etc. as another way to avoid scratches.

16. likegadgets macrumors 6502

17. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Or flipping the cover to the back.

The iPad deserves to be naked. The aluminum backing isn't that susceptible to scratching with regular use. Now, if you're blending it, that's a whole different story.

18. thebubbatex macrumors regular

I have a Smart Cover and I just felt it needed something on the back. I got an iCarbons black skin. Adds a little "texture" to the feel. At some point once the "newness" wears off, I'll probably go nekked - I usually do on all of my devices.

19. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

I put a matte ghost armor on the back. It has almost the same luster as the aluminum back, gives it a bit of grip, and works with the smart cover. I also put it in a neoprene case when transporting somewhere.

20. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

This are absolutely the best. Been using them on the iphone for years.

You will need a few of them - since the scratches go on the cover itself. cheap and effective.

and retains the thinness...

21. TrulyYuki macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

I noticed scratches on the back of my iPad where it rests on the counter with the smart cover. The counter I have at work is metal. metal on metal is not soothing.