Is the Smart Keyboard for 10.5 upgraded?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by AstroDrew, Jun 6, 2017.

1. AstroDrew macrumors regular

AstroDrew

I ordered the Smart Keyboard to accompany my 10.5 iPP. Is it an upgraded version of the 9.7" smart keyboard or it's the same? I know it's not out yet but I can't find any information about it yet.

2. AnthonySager macrumors member

Its not "upgraded" but designed to fit the 10.5". The 9.7" is a slightly compressed key layout. The 10.5" pro is slightly larger than its predecessor, allowing a full size keyboard on this new version.

3. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

Has anyone seen a picture of the 12.9" and new 10.5" keyboards side by side?

4. va1984 macrumors member

I'm using the 10.5" Smart Keyboard right now to type this (albeit with a 9.7" Pro, of course, until next week).
    Doesn't seem upgraded at all in terms of functioning, key travel, clicky-ness, etc (I have owned and used both the 12.9 and the 9.7 SKs in the past.
    The size of course is different. And you know what, these devils are almost always right. I do think that -- at least for my hands -- the extra centimetre you get going from the 9.7 SK to the 10.5 SK begins to make a difference. On this, the 10.5, my fingers fly confidently, and I can see myself getting relatively used to it in the short term. The 9.7 always felt a little on the wrong side of the magic line, for me.

5. kenz1980 macrumors newbie

How did you find typing on the 12.9 ask ? Roomy enough, was the typing similar to the MacBook Air/pros ?

Thanks!

6. va1984 macrumors member

It's as roomy as a 13" laptop, yes, but the feel of the keys is different. I like it, but lots of people don't -- I would strongly recommend trying it first and/or using the store return options if necessary.

7. triangletechie macrumors member

Do the keys feel different on the 10.5? I didn't like the slick feeling on the 9.7 keyboard and was hoping they changed it on the 10.5.