Is the "space black" iPhone 7 happening?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Aug 4, 2016.

?

Are we getting a darker space gray or black color for the iPhone 7?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    58.1%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    41.9%
  1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

With the initial rumors of Apple ditching Space Gray for a dark blue, and then the stories about the color actually being a darker space gray surfacing, do you think we will actually be getting a darker gray/black-ish iPhone in September?

So far, all of the "leaked" photos are showing the same space gray that is on 6/6s models.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I doubt it.

But I've been wrong before.

I could see Apple offering it just to drive sales though. A lof of customers have been clamoring to have black back, but Apple gives us Space Gray. With many people deciding to sit this update out (myself included) Apple may offer Space Black (or just black) just as an incentive for all those who have been wanting this color.

Even if they do offer it though, I'm sitting this one out if that double fugly camera bulge is on the back of the phone.

3. BLUEBLASTER macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

I think they will have to so they can get sales. They have a lot going against them it seems.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

And if they do then I shall not be pleased. Because that would mean that Apple heard it's customers all along but chose to ignore us except when manipulating us like that would benefit them.

I know Apple is a company and I can expect nothing more, but I don't appreciate being manipulated and so I'll vote with my wallet.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

It seems that we will find out when Apple announces details of the new iPhone.

6. mjschabow macrumors 65816

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

The Plus versions? How does that relate to what is being discussed here?

8. mjschabow macrumors 65816

It's an old running joke. ;)

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Ah, that explains it (I guess that winking smiley would have done that too if that was in that post).

10. BLUEBLASTER macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

Fair point I guess it just depends on what you want from a phone. Either way I'm getting the 7. I've never had an iPhone before and looking forward to the change.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Welcome to iPhone!

My first was the iPhone 5. I had a 3GS before that but it was a gift and not my primary phone at the time.

Hope your experience with the 7 is a good one!

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

It's hard to say. If Space black does debut, it will be a very popular color no doubt.

13. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

Or... a much more likely scenario is that after the 5/5S when they had issues with the black scratching off, they've been waiting until they can get a manufacturing process that would provide a more satisfactory black experience.

People are so willing to throw the 'manipulation' term around. :confused:

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm sure Apple could ask Neucase how to do it. :)

15. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I thought they got that sorted quite quickly. I didn't get my iPhone 5 until a few months after it came out, and it has been replaced twice for other issues. The first one did get a slight mark caused by someone else, but otherwise all have been very robust, and I rarely use a case.

16. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

Oh, don't get me wrong. I never use a case, and I've had every model on the day of launch since the original. My phones are always in pristine condition when it's time for the next one.

I just know there was a bit of a kerfuffle around the black on the 5-series phones. This may or may not have been why black was avoided for the 6-series. There could be any number of reasons, including 'we liked the space grey better and thought it would sell more'.

Apple is very aware of the competition they face from Samsung, etc, and they're not going to withhold color choices they think are going to be the best sellers just to 'manipulate' their target audience.

17. BLUEBLASTER macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

Thanks! I'm looking forward to the change and the on time software updates!

18. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

Haha, yeah. The fact that Android OS users put up with months-behind, sometimes never, OS updates baffles me. :confused:

19. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Yeah they will play the colors game here by introducing more colors like deep blue and this space black whatever because this will be only hope for them to sell new iPhone beside other things so similar to current iPhones

20. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Silver, Space Black, Gold, Rose Gold, and Deep Blue. Choices for everyone.

21. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

If they did a black and a deep blue, I'd be in trouble. :eek:

22. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Right, you would have to buy two 7s - one black and one blue!

23. Savor Suspended

Savor

I doubt it but I wish I was wrong too.

Space black or blue is fine as long as it has black or fairly dark antenna rear lines.

24. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Yes there was initially, but I'm sure I read not long after release that they revised the coating to make it more robust. My iPhone 5 is after that revision.

25. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

Yea it seems they nixed it as we've seen the familiar four shells of late with nothing new to report. I'm kind of surprised actually considering it's similar to an S cycle upgrade they didn't add a color to boost sales. We know that's always one of the marketing ploys.