Is the spinning wheel

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevo8, Mar 16, 2009.

1. stevo8 macrumors 6502

From not enough processor speed or ram? I upgraded from a MBP to a 2.8GHz Imac and although is WAY faster, I'm still getting that spinning wheel from time to time(very very shortly though). I have the 4gig upgrade coming from crucial but was still just curious as to if that will fix it.

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

You will always get the spinning wheel from time to time. It doesn't mean anything is wrong it just means that you might be trying to access something that may take a few seconds to find. Look at the total amount of files and folders that you have and try to think to yourself "now, if I had to try to find something specific in a big pile of folders and files, it might take me a few seconds as well".

Not trying to be mean but it's just my prospective on the spinning pinwheel. Now if it takes several minutes then you might have an issue... :cool:

3. macgrl macrumors 65816

I sometimes get the spinning wheel, even when I am just opening up something simple like finder or ichat. I don't think that it is anything to worry about. It just does it for a few seconds and then the program opens.:)

4. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, I was just curious. When editing photos on my MBP it's REAL bad(it will spin for a minute or more) but the iMac it just pops up an then goes away in a couple seconds.

5. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

How often does that happen on your MBP? What are the specs on the MBP? And by editing photos, are we talking iPhoto editing or heavy duty photoshop editing?

Don

6. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

My MBP is one of the original intel ones I believe.. It's a 2.0GHz core duo, 100gb HD with 2gb ram(that's max), and by editing I do mean fairly heavy Photoshop and lightroom. iPhoto stuff it handles with zero problems although I don't use iPhoto. File sizes are about 12mb out of the camera and after just a few layers it starts to give me the wheel. The iMac is fine editing photos for the most part, it's usually when I'm doing several things at once that it did it... I did install some crucial ram yesterday(from 2 to 4gb) and was in able to get the wheel when I tried yesterday... It might be just in my head but it seems as if everything responds faster now, even when there's not a heavy load on it. I was under he impression though that if I was not using the full 2gb of ram that I wouldn't notice the difference of more ram...??

7. sawmaster macrumors regular

All MPB's are intel. I'm 99.9% sure.

8. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Point was is that it's old.. It's pre core 2 due max of 2gb ram and just overall tired.. However it's still a great machine.. Ran a geekbench(I think that's what it was) on it and it scored a 2900 while my dell desktop that's a year old with 3gigs of ram and a 2.4ghz processor only scored a 2780 or something close to that.