Is the SSD replaceable in the 2015 13" rMBP? Receiving conflicting answers.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheNorthWaves, Mar 29, 2015.

1. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

Apple Store genius guy at Southpoint Mall says that you cannot replace the SSD in the newly-released 13" rMBP. Good old ifixit sure makes it look like you can just pop that PCIe drive out and replace it. OWC doesn't sell any for this model, but that's no surprise since the model was just released. I am aware that the RAM is soldered to the logic board… but can I theoretically replace the SSD? This knowledge would change my impending purchase.

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is fairly easily replaceable and just unscrews. The problem is, like you mentioned, nobody makes an aftermarket replacement yet.

3. leman macrumors 604

Theoretically, yes. Practically, no. Why? Because nobody makes those SSDs besides Apple.

4. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not concerned about the lack of an SSD on the market now. They will come, in time.

The background for my question was because I would be fine with a 256GB at the moment, but in 3 years when my Applecare expires, 1TB SSDs will be dirt cheap and that will keep my machine decent until it's 5 years old (which is the pattern I fall into… buy, upgrade the parts in 2-3 yrs, keep for 5 yrs total, then replace).

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm not so sure any more. OWC and Transcend both have been saying it is "coming soon" for ages, and nothing has materialized. I think if they could access the parts/tech to do it, they would have by now. JMO :)

6. leman macrumors 604

In addition to what Weaselboy said: how can you be so sure that they will come? Almost 2 years have passed and we still have no after-market SSDs for the newer Macs. My guess is that its simply not profitable enough.

7. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

I wasn't aware of the paucity of SSDs for some models. I guess I took it for granted that some company would build an SSD; I suppose the material cost is still very high. I could also buy a Jetdrive. :cool:

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Is the SSD replaceable in the 2015 13" rMBP? Receiving conflicting answers.

Your best bet would be to look on eBay and find pcie drives that have been pulled from other Macs. Obviously it won't be new, but if you find a reliable seller then you could get one and replace it yourself.

Personally, I'm also torn between going that route or just getting a Jetdrive and calling it a day.

9. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

I had a similar thought to yours - to find a 512GB-1TB SSD on ebay later. After crunching the numbers, it seems like optioning the machine with the 256GB makes the most sense (it's faster, and I will be running a windows VM on it). My photos/etc are all on a shared network drive at my home anyway.

Bringing a 512GB SSD into the picture now is a $300 price difference over the 256GB; and while the Jetdrive only goes to 128GB it's $74 on amazon. That's half the price per GB over the SSD upgrade. I'll be putting non-system files on it, so the far-lower read/write speed should be OK.

Granted, if my network drive starts giving me trouble with iTunes libraries I'm gonna smack my forehead… :)

10. Michelle_D macrumors newbie

Michelle_D

--- Post Merged, Nov 25, 2016 ---
    I would like to know who OWC is.. I have been considering buying a SSD from them but being in South Africa.. I have no idea who this company is.

Are they reliable? Anyone made use of them yet?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

They are a legit company and many forum members here have used them. They have both their fans and their detractors here. I am not particularly a fan since they unjustifiably bad mouthed a competitor a couple years ago. Very unprofessional and uncalled for IMO.

12. maerz001 macrumors 6502

Well they are the only company who made for my MacBook Air a SSD. I replaced the 128gb with a 240gb two years ago. No problem and still rocking.

Selling the smaller one on eBay I saved about 200€ compared to configuring the Air with Apple in the first beginning (witch would have been 256gb).