Is the stainless edition really a lot better?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TH55, Oct 2, 2018.

1. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Screen size, screen resolution and pixel density. But if you don't care at all about those things (even though they have a dramatic affect on how you use the watch) there's also the processor speed (it's literally twice as fast), the improved range and speed of Bluetooth 5.0 (as opposed to the S3's BT4.2), the much louder speaker and the haptic feedback for the Digital Crown. Honestly though, the screen is why I upgraded from a 42mm SS (S3) to a 44mm SS, S4.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The Series 3 Stainless is 40% heavier over the aluminum model. However, the stainless offers the sapphire protection, which I find critical for the display. That said, Series 3 and Series 2 are fairly similar, but the Series 4 is a huge step forward with the larger display, reduced bezels, tweaked display and casing, and of course the health sensors. It really is what you would appreciate when you decide to upgrade.

3. Sword86 macrumors regular

FWIW, on Day One I picked up an SS S4 40 and an AL S4 40 with the same bands and was surprised how close their weights seemed to be. I hardly notice my SS 40 on my wrist.

4. puke macrumors 6502

Get the 4. It's worth it by hundreds of miles.

5. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Cool, think I'll get it. Does it look similar enough to the original 3 that it still looks sharp?

6. sbuntin macrumors regular

sbuntin

The weight difference between aluminum and stainless is negligible.
    Noticeable holding the watch in your hand, but not on your wrist. The difference is 9.7 to 11.2g - 0.34-0.4 oz.

7. ZipZap macrumors 603

And what is uniquely SS...since that is the theme of this thread.

8. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Series 4's screen is even sharper than the previous watches' screens! Dot pitch is increased, which means fine details will be better defined and more readable to the eye.

9. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

No. The OP asked me the following question:

I answered that question.

10. Scott G. macrumors regular

You can't spend the extra $50 for the new S4?

11. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

You missed the "stainless" part I'm assuming?

12. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

The glass quality really is different. Not only will it hold up better on the SS model, it just looks better. Like looking through glass rather than plastic. That overstates the difference, but there's a difference.

13. Diana Prince macrumors regular

Diana Prince

I previously owned the SS0 and the SS2. At one point I had convinced myself I could only wear the SS models. But then when you try to resell them...you quickly learn how much of their value is lost. This time around I went for the aluminum and didn’t look back. I don’t think I’ll buy another SS unless heavily discounted. If you are used to wearing the SS model, the aluminum is noticeably lighter. I also agree with those saying the haptic is stronger on the aluminum model. The prior SS models registered as almost a light tapping where as this aluminum feels like a jackhammering. And for anyone buying the SS model for “clout”, no one notices it’s an SS model. Apple watches look the same to most people.

14. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

The glass on aluminium watches is glass, not plastic, and I would say it looks like glass too.

Would you say iphone screens look like looking through plastic, because their screens are also covered by glass rather than sapphire crystal.

15. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

They all look different to me.

That said, if I could wear the aluminum and not feel like it's a toy or like I'll scratch the glass (I cannot stand scratches on glass) I'd buy the aluminum because it's less expensive.

I also prefer the SS on the iPhone to the aluminum they used to have... I was so sick of that aluminum that I went for the Jet Black 7 plus just to get away from it.

16. redavis41 macrumors member

redavis41

I'd agree. It's not so much the SS, it is the Sapphire display that is the game changer for the SS models. I'd probably buy an apple watch that was aluminum with a sapphire display personally, but they don't make them!. All high end watches use sapphire crystal displays, they are very hard to scratch.

Also, I'm not a fan of the Ion-X screens because to my eyes they give off a yellow tint at times, which just annoys me, but they offer less glare than Sapphire. So it's really a matter of picking your poison.

17. barjam macrumors 6502

I tried to go aluminum last year and realized the screen is basically made of butter and went back on the SS after a weekend of owning the sport. I already had three but scratches on it.

I have owned SS since launch otherwise with zero scratches.

Resell is completely irrelevant to me. The peace of mind of not having to look at a scratched screen all the time is worth the loss.

18. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

The aluminum models will develop screen scratches, even if they are subtle. There are sometimes people posting pictures of perfect aluminum model screens after months of use, but I think that is the exception rather than the rule.

I bought an S3 SS recently (my third watch, first two aluminum) for this reason. It is excellent so far. It also came with AppleCare+ for additional peace of mind.

If you prioritize the highest speeds and the newest features, S4 aluminum. If you want screen durability and (objectively) more premium looks/materials, go S3 SS. If you want both, spend double and get the S4 SS.

19. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

I would say what I said: looking through the glass on the aluminum models doesn't look as good as looking through the glass on the SS models. Full stop.

20. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Bottom line, much more durable. However, as I've experienced, it doesn't hold its value any better even though it remains unblemished. This time around I went with aluminum.

21. Scott G. macrumors regular

I didn't know that you wanted just the SS model.

22. madgalaxy macrumors regular

To me the IonX is noticeably brighter than the sapphire models.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

What you’re seeing is that Ion – X Glass doesn’t have the Sapphire coating like the stainless model accrues, which allows the display to be more vibrant. The Sapphire coating creates more of a reflection, which makes the display seem somewhat more muted, but that would be depending on the lighting conditions as well.

24. dotzero123 macrumors 6502

dotzero123

I struggled with aluminum vs stainless but ultimately chose the aluminum. I had s2 and s3 for about 1 year each and never had a scratch. I decided that if I really miss the SS for non exercise related use I can pick up an older as gps model for that occasion. The resale on SS isn’t so good and it’s technology. I’ll eventually want a newer model. Also go for v4. The upgrades are worth it. You can also get screen protector if u think u need one.

25. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

I bought a used pristine S3 LTE aluminum for a great price, and put a screen protector that is only noticeable to me. The screen scratching issue then becomes pointless for me.