Is The Stainless Steel Watch Upgradable?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Raggamuffin, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Raggamuffin macrumors newbie

Is it true the stainless model will be upgradable in the future?

Today I tried on a 38" stainless steel and space grey black aluminum model. Amazed that my 175 inch male wrist didn't look good with the 42". I really liked the look and weight of the stainless steel version, but the price is hard to justify if v2 comes :apple:out in 6 mo.

2. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

v2 will not come out in 6 month.

My crystal ball is telling me nothing for 2016 either (maybe new bands, and that's it)

3. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

It's safe to say that we won't be seeing the second-generation watch in six months.

4. Raggamuffin thread starter macrumors newbie

How about upgrades for the stainless steel version (batteries,chip,etc)? I've heard rumors but can't find anything in writing to back it up.

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

There absolutely will not be a v2 6 months from now. And there's always something better on the horizon. If you want an Apple Watch, get one. If you don't, then I guess you can wait a year or two for v2.

Also, remember, the width of your wrist is what effects the decision for a 42mm or 38mm watch, not the circumference.

6. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Just like the iPhone there will be a new one every year .. since Apple is trying to go the fashion route, that changes every year.

But no way in hell will you see a new one in 6 months.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It being upgradable are just people's wishful thinking. It won't happen.

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Apple won't even catch up with initial demand until the second half of the year. They haven't even launched in all countries yet. V2 is not coming any time soon.

BTW: A 175 inch male wrist is NOT normal. Please see your doctor ASAP!

9. Raggamuffin thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

That would be one heck of a big band to fit a 175 inch wrist! LOL :D

11. sirsimon macrumors newbie

Pure speculation here, but I suspect that :apple: will give gen 1 at least 18 months before any new hardware come out (except bands).

I think that we'll see a 2 or 3 software updates in that time, though, as they work out any bugs and perhaps add some new features.

12. biosci macrumors 6502a

And speed optimizations which could therefore increase battery life a little more...

13. Wildgift macrumors 6502

I agree. Fall 2016. Hopefully we will have software upgrades.

14. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Everyday fashion changes by the season.

Premium fashion stay the same for years if not decades.

15. bulbousnub macrumors 6502

Nope. We're all going to be stuck on WatchOS 1.0 forever. :rolleyes:

16. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I am intrigued by the port that exists on the Apple Watch that they say could potentially interface with smart bands. Let's say v2 comes with some new sensor(s)... They could potentially integrate those into a band as a v1 "upgrade."

There would still be incentive to buy the v2 for the new form factor, but it would be a way to keep people who spent over $1,000 on v1 from feeling completely obsolete.

17. Raggamuffin thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to spring for the stainless steel version. It felt more like a real piece of jewelry. Hopefully we will be able to upgrade its innards, but I'm not going to count on it.

18. Mr.C macrumors 601

There is absolutely no way a new model will be out in 6 months. I would go as far as to say unlike iPhones and iPads that get refreshed annually this is not going to happen with the :apple:Watch and we are more likely to see new models every 2-3 years. An annual upgrade of a smart watch does not make sense. It won't be upgradeable either. If you want the newer specs you will have to buy the newer model.

19. Wishbrah macrumors regular

We'll find out during an ifixit tear down I'm sure

20. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

But the technology is so new and hence advancements will be happening so quickly, that I think a new version in a year should be likely. The question is if it is a CPU upgrade only and if the form factor stays exactly the same.

I strongly suspect that even if the Sport and SS form factor remains the same, new colors will become available in the Edition every year. Also Editions will be "limited" and reach end of life quickly at the high end. Get that red version for $17,000 while you can rich folks. I'm guessing it is not available at this time next year.

21. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Because it's not true and a very obscure rumor. Where did you come across it?

There's no way. At best they will have an trade in program.

22. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

Its been posted on this site before. The rumor got started because people thought that there would be no way that the company could sell a $10,000-17,000 watch without having it upgradable. i.e people wouldn't buy a watch that expensive if it was going to become obsolete. That trickled down to the Stainless and sport models as well, but the general consensus was that if it was offered on the other 2 models, it probably would be worth the cost.

23. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Ahhhh I missed that one.

24. Mr.C macrumors 601

I don't think so. I don't think the enhancements for a watch will as significant as they would be for a phone or tablet. Also there won't be as many of them. This the inherent nature of a watch. Most advancements will likely be software based. Eventually they will improve battery life but that will likely take 2-3 years. Also people are typically not likely to upgrade a watch as often as they would a phone or tablet.

25. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

Agreed. It's going to really deter people to purchase the watch if its updated too often. On the other hand, Apple will have to give people a reason to upgrade their watch, and that won't be new colors.