Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
If I have my Mac Pro connected to external speakers, is the startup bong supposed to be played through the internal speakers? When I had my PowerBook connected to speakers, it played the startup noise through them, not the internal speaker. Just curious.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The Intel Macs seem to rely solely on their internal speakers. I can report the same happening on my MacBook and Mac minis when they have external speakers attached.

snagitseven

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
Same here. Appears that the startup chime happens before the external audio is recognized. I actually kind of prefer it - if I had the volume turned up when my G4 came on early in the morning, the bong through my Bose amplified speakers would sometimes scare the crap outta me.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
The chime comes through the internal speaker on my MacPro (early 08) too. I really liked it on my Rev.1 Powermac G5, it came through the externals. Nice and loud. I wish my MacPro would do that. IIRC, that changed with the Rev.2 Powermacs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.