Is the startup chime supposed to be from the internal speaker?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by c073186, Feb 19, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

If I have my Mac Pro connected to external speakers, is the startup bong supposed to be played through the internal speakers? When I had my PowerBook connected to speakers, it played the startup noise through them, not the internal speaker. Just curious.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Intel Macs seem to rely solely on their internal speakers. I can report the same happening on my MacBook and Mac minis when they have external speakers attached.

3. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I think the startup chime comes from the internal speaker- I tried plugging in my headphones when the chime came on, but no sound came to my headphones.

4. snagitseven macrumors member

Same here. Appears that the startup chime happens before the external audio is recognized. I actually kind of prefer it - if I had the volume turned up when my G4 came on early in the morning, the bong through my Bose amplified speakers would sometimes scare the crap outta me.

5. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

The chime comes through the internal speaker on my MacPro (early 08) too. I really liked it on my Rev.1 Powermac G5, it came through the externals. Nice and loud. I wish my MacPro would do that. IIRC, that changed with the Rev.2 Powermacs.