Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I don't think any of the bands will be super expensive - they are just described that way!....

Define your subjective opinion of "super expensive"? Also I did not say I thought they will be "super expensive". I'm responding to this inaccurate thread (read the title) that the Sport will be more expensive than the SS and part of the evidence is the more expensive bands in the SS Collection.

I believe that all the bands shown in the SS Collection (sans the fluoroelastomer) will be $150 or more. Do you condemn this as predicting them as "super expensive"? If so then I am guilty. :D

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
Just a guess, but I think the band prices will be as follows.

Sport Band - $49
Sport Band Gold - $99
Link Bracelet - $99
Leather Loop - $79
Classic Buckle - $79
Classic Buckle Gold - $169
Modern Buckle - $99
Modern Buckle Gold - $169
Milanese Loop -$129

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
Just a guess, but I think the band prices will be as follows.

Sport Band - $49
Sport Band Gold - $99
Link Bracelet - $99
Leather Loop - $79
Classic Buckle - $79
Classic Buckle Gold - $169
Modern Buckle - $99
Modern Buckle Gold - $169
Milanese Loop -$129

I'll play!

Sport Band - $29
Sport Band Gold - $99
Classic Buckle - $99
Classic Buckle Gold - $199
Leather Loop - $129
Modern Buckle - $149
Modern Buckle Gold - $279
Milanese Loop -$349
Link Bracelet - $499
Space Black Link Bracelet - $529

The link bracelet and Milanese loop will be the most expensive; they are the luxury-themed options. They are also expensive to make. Link bracelet needs more hand labor than Milanese loop so it will have a higher price.

The modern buckle and leather loop will have higher prices than the classic buckle. They are somewhat novel and probably more expensive to make. The classic buckle is just an ordinary, if well made, watch strap.

The gold premium will be smallest for the sport band and highest for the modern buckle, based on the amount of metal in each and the perceived luxury value of each type of strap.

If the "space black" color is anything more than a coat of cheap paint, both the watch and the link bracelet will cost more in black than in silver. DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) seems to be a fairly durable and not-too-expensive treatment used to make black stainless steel watches; perhaps that is what Apple will use.

All of my prices are wild guesses, based on nothing at all. :)

eish2306

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
Wales
I think they will be boxed with a sports band colour appropriate to the watch - normaly White but black for the space grey SS then the other straps will be available for purchase

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I think they will be boxed with a sports band colour appropriate to the watch - normaly White but black for the space grey SS then the other straps will be available for purchase

So you think Apple is going to make you pay for a sport band even if you don't want one? Or Apple's going to throw it in the box and eat the cost of it? If Apple's going to make me pay for a band I don't want they can keep their watch.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
So you think Apple is going to make you pay for a sport band even if you don't want one? Or Apple's going to throw it in the box and eat the cost of it? If Apple's going to make me pay for a band I don't want they can keep their watch.

I don't think the rubber strap is going to be a problem, it should be cheap enough, and prob costs a couple of dollars to make, that it's pretty much a non issue.

The question really is, what will come with the Stainless ones, and will you have no choice but to have to buy a more expensive, pre-selected strap for your stainless watch, than the strap you really want.

As I have been saying, let's hope there is a free choice at the buying stage to select the strap you want and not have to have one you don't want forced on your. Given they take seconds to fit by the customer.

I can accept the sports ones will come by default with a rubber strap in the colour of your choice, that seems reasonable. As they should not cost much.

(or being honest, cost Apple very very little, but probably retail for $29!)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Define your subjective opinion of "super expensive"? Also I did not say I thought they will be "super expensive". I'm responding to this inaccurate thread (read the title) that the Sport will be more expensive than the SS and part of the evidence is the more expensive bands in the SS Collection.

I believe that all the bands shown in the SS Collection (sans the fluoroelastomer) will be $150 or more. Do you condemn this as predicting them as "super expensive"? If so then I am guilty. :D

There are new leather bands available for the Almost 360 for $59.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/16/7558765/motorola-dodo-moto-360-leather-bands-now-available

I'm not sure how they compare to Watch leather bands in quality.

----------

I don't think the rubber strap is going to be a problem, it should be cheap enough, and prob costs a couple of dollars to make, that it's pretty much a non issue.

The question really is, what will come with the Stainless ones, and will you have no choice but to have to buy a more expensive, pre-selected strap for your stainless watch, than the strap you really want.

As I have been saying, let's hope there is a free choice at the buying stage to select the strap you want and not have to have one you don't want forced on your. Given they take seconds to fit by the customer.

I can accept the sports ones will come by default with a rubber strap in the colour of your choice, that seems reasonable. As they should not cost much.

(or being honest, cost Apple very very little, but probably retail for $29!)

Why should anything come as default? Order a watch and pick the band of your choice. Maybe the sport collection will be pre-boxed but I doubt the other two will.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
There are new leather bands available for the Almost 360 for $59.

I'm not sure how they compare to Watch leather bands in quality....

...Modern Buckle Gold - $169...

I can almost prove this is far too low.

The first pic is an independent shot of one of the closer snaps (there are 2 per strap) on the Modern Buckle. It consists of 2 pieces, 4 screws, 2 rivets, 1 pin and 1 spring. As someone who has spent time in the industry this is a quality product. Screws are rarely used in 'cheep' bands. Also this looks to be about 5 grams (about the weight of a 5¢ Nickel) in weight (x2). Remember gold has a high specific gravity (heavy). Also you have the end pieces that probably weigh in at about 3 grams (x2). So this would be about ½ oz of 18K gold. $1300 / 2 x 0.75 = $450 gold content. Even on the low end there is well over $200 in gold content used in this strap.

ScreenShot2015-01-18at13815PM_zps96fc74f3.jpg

ScreenShot2015-01-18at14207PM_zpsff3c3a96.jpg

ScreenShot2015-01-18at14215PM_zpsa29d0c46.jpg

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Why should anything come as default? Order a watch and pick the band of your choice. Maybe the sport collection will be pre-boxed but I doubt the other two will.

I agree with you 100% but this is Apple.

The Kings of deciding what you should have as they know better than you. The customer.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'd be staggered if they will allow you to buy the sports watch and select any strap you want from the entire range.

Let's hope I'm staggered eh :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I agree with you 100% but this is Apple.

The Kings of deciding what you should have as they know better than you. The customer.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'd be staggered if they will allow you to buy the sports watch and select any strap you want from the entire range.

Let's hope I'm staggered eh :)

I wasn't talking about the sport collection. We know the sport collection is going to be offered with the rubber bands as that is how Apple displays it on their website. If someone wants a milanese loop with their aluminum watch (which I think would look stupid by the way) then they buy a milanese band separately.

I'm talking about the stainless steel collection that has 18 different models. Nowhere on Apple's site does it indicate the stainless steel watch will be sold with a rubber band and you will have to pay separately for different band. Why are people thinking that? The black or white sport band is going to be an option just like the link, milanese, leather loop, or leather classic is.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I wasn't talking about the sport collection. We know the sport collection is going to be offered with the rubber bands as that is how Apple displays it on their website. If someone wants a milanese loop with their aluminum watch (which I think would look stupid by the way) then they buy a milanese band separately.

I'm talking about the stainless steel collection that has 18 different models. Nowhere on Apple's site does it indicate the stainless steel watch will be sold with a rubber band and you will have to pay separately for different band. Why are people thinking that? The black or white sport band is going to be an option just like the link, milanese, leather loop, or leather classic is.

So, if I may clarify please.

Are you thinking there will be a totally free selection of which strap you want on any of the watches other than the Aluminium sports ones which you will have to have a rubber strap with.

The "have to have the rubber strap on any sports watch ordered" being the only "non choice" you have on a watch / strap combination?

The Steel one you will be able to select from any strap
The Gold one you will be able to select from any strap
The Aluminium one you will also be able to select from any strap, but you will have to also have one of the rubber straps also by default with this one?

Yes, do I have it right?

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida

ONLY if you're buying the cheapest watch, the sport.
(see here: https://www.apple.com/watch/gallery/)
The Sport will be ONLY shipping with the sport band included... you will have to buy any other that you would like.
The more expensive models have the option of a nicer band, included fresh out of the box & you will not be forced to buy anything additional if you got it the first time with precisely what you wanted & choose not to get any more... that is all completely up to you. Obviously, they all have to ship with SOME band. Every watch in this world, from a $30 one to a $30,000 one, comes with a band. That is a given. Tim & Co. would be EATEN ALIVE if they stated that the $350 entry price is for a bandless watch, then you pay additional, as it comes out of the box unusable. That's not even a valid train of thought.
I am in a similar boat to you. I do NOT want the crappy band, but can only afford the Sport. So, I will be buying a "real" band on day one & eBaying the included band IMMEDIATELY.
Hope this helps! =)

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
The Sport will be ONLY shipping with the sport band included... you will have to buy any other that you would like.
The more expensive models have the option of a nicer band, included fresh out of the box & you will not be forced to buy anything additional if you got it the first time with precisely what you wanted & choose not to get any more... that is all completely up to you. Obviously, they all have to ship with SOME band. Every watch in this world, from a $30 one to a $30,000 one, comes with a band. That is a given. Tim & Co. would be EATEN ALIVE if they stated that the $350 entry price is for a bandless watch, then you pay additional, as it comes out of the box unusable. That's not even a valid train of thought.
I am in a similar boat to you. I do NOT want the crappy band, but can only afford the Sport. So, I will be buying a "real" band on day one & eBaying the included band IMMEDIATELY.
Hope this helps! =)

Sorry, off topic, but, so the leather loop is only available in 42mm? I haven't seen any evidence to suggest there are 38mm versions available. Shame, as I wanted a 38mm SS with blue leather magnetic strap. Wonder why not?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Hope this helps! =)

What if you damage your watch, or some other reason, but the strap is still fine. You don't think you will be able to buy just another watch to attach to the strap you have?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So, if I may clarify please.

Are you thinking there will be a totally free selection of which strap you want on any of the watches other than the Aluminium sports ones which you will have to have a rubber strap with.

The "have to have the rubber strap on any sports watch ordered" being the only "non choice" you have on a watch / strap combination?

The Aluminium one you will also be able to select from any strap, but you will have to also have one of the rubber straps also by default with this one?

Yes, do I have it right?

Go look on Apple's site. The models they have in each collection will be your initial selections. If you want something other than that you'll have to buy an additional band to get it. In the case of the sport collection Apple is only showing rubber straps so if you want a stainless steel strap with that watch you'd have to buy that strap separately. That's how I'm seeing it.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
I am in the minority that thinks the SS will be the low end. That was my first thought watching the keynote and again with the layout on the website. To me a lighter weight aluminum watch would be more expensive. I wouldn't expect a SS iphone that was heavier to be the high end model. I understand this is a watch.

Runners will pay more for the Sport model. Most people will buy the cheapest model.

SS for the masses and aluminum for those who pay more. Not a lot more. $30-$50

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I am in the minority that thinks the SS will be the low end. That was my first thought watching the keynote and again with the layout on the website. To me a lighter weight aluminum watch would be more expensive. I wouldn't expect a SS iphone that was heavier to be the high end model. I understand this is a watch.

Runners will pay more for the Sport model. Most people will buy the cheapest model.

No way the materials and machining on the aluminum watch are more expensive than the stainless steel watch. Plus the stainless steel watch has sapphire display and ceramic back. Does anyone think a colored rubber band is more premium than a stainless steel milanese loop?

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006

Yes, do I have it right?

My current thought would be basically what you have described.

Sport is prepackaged in a similar way to the iPhone 5c, strap and all.

The other two however could be BTO in store, like buying the "custom" Oakley sunglasses at an Oakley store. Choose your watch body, then choose your strap, and we will package them in a nice keeper box (wood?). That would be inline with the high end jewelry piece that Apple is seemingly aiming for. Otherwise it gets to be a bit unwieldy to prepackage and stock all the different options to keep people happy. I also assume in this scenario we are talking very high price points for both the stainless and gold. The higher the price, the more likely I think this is the way they may go.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
The Apple Watch Sport WILL be the cheapest one. There is simply NO way around it.

I give you something else to think about though, although this is also HIGHLY unlikely.

During the Keynote they announced that
Apple Watch would start at $349.

Apple Watch! Not Apple Watch Sport!

So maybe the Apple Watch does indeed start at $349 and Apple surprises us by pricing the Sport one at $199.

I still think this is highly unlikely... but still

199 for an watch is very unlikely

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
What if you damage your watch, or some other reason, but the strap is still fine. You don't think you will be able to buy just another watch to attach to the strap you have?

Get over it!

What if you damage your Rolex, can you go to a jewelry store & say "Hey, I'd like that Rolex there on the shelf... not the whole thing though. I already have a band, so take it apart for me & give me just part of it, I don't care what you do with the rest... and please discount it for me"? No... no, you cannot. Can you go into Walmart & say "Hey, I broke my $30 Timex... sell me a new one for $20 though, you can keep the strap"? No... no you cannot.

Soooooo.... this is a well established way that watches are sold everywhere & always has been; absolutely NOBODY has had issue with this decade after decade after decade. You are desperately trying to create a problem where none exists. Why??

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida

Yes, and gold is VERY heavy.... so it will be BY FAR cheaper than the others!

/sarcasm

Lol. Using weight as the sole weight differentiator of price is silly. I mean, if ONLY weight counted & not premium quality materials... they could have one REALLY expensive super light one... built out of paper, right?

Whoops, guess I wasn't quite ready to /sarcasm.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
I doubt it will happen, but if the SS model ends up being the cheapest there are going to be several people eating a lot of crow lol.

Ultimately I think that the order will be sport, SS, edition price wise I originally started this thread because of what I perceive as a silly order decision on apple's part but it has actually spurred a lot of good discussion on a few different topics.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You are desperately trying to create a problem where none exists. Why??

You're not just noticing this now are you? ;)

Almost every piggie post in this forum is glass half empty, assuming the worst, treating Watch as nothing more than an overpriced disposable gadget. It's quite amusing though to see people who seemingly have no interest in owning an Watch get so worked up about the product. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.