Is the SuperDrive any good?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MartinAppleGuy, Jul 26, 2014.

1. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Has anyone had any issues with it? Would you recommend another type of drive?

It is for my iMac (2014 21.5"), and I plan to use if for watch films, installing X-Plane (and using Disk 1 to play it), and backing up data to disks.

2. simsaladimbamba

It is a slow drive for its price and rather flimsy in its construction.
    Your are better off with a 5.25" optical disc drive (ODD) with a tray to load discs, even if they do not look as cool as a SuperDrive.

As for backing up data, why not use an external HDD or three? They are cheaper in the long run, especially $/GB wise.

3. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

They are not cheaper if you already have the disks ;) Anyway, I hate external HDD's and SSD's are too expensive for my small needs of backing up. And when I talk of backing up, I'm only meaning a matter of GB's (maybe 10GB a year). Yes, an external HDD might get be 5-10 times the amount of storage over DVD's, but if I'm never using it, it's just a waste.

I would like a drive that fits in with my iMac. And how is it flimsy?

4. simsaladimbamba

Then maybe even a USB flash storage thumb drive or two would suffice, as they are cheaper than an ODD.
    But I get why you want to do this.
    I have backed up probably 200 GB to DVDs seven years ago, stored the DVDs in a sealed environment, where no light or humidity can reach them. I am lucky to still be able reading a third of them.

If you only need to backup 10 GB or so per year, that would be writing 3 DVDs per year at most.
    And reading one DVD daily would probably also not wear down the small drive either.

I just have had bad experiences with two SuperDrives, they broke down in a matter of years, and I did not even use them for the backup session seven years ago. I however used the SuperDrives to rip my entire CD collection, 300 CDs or so, and no SD lasted longer than four years for me.

But again, your stated needs probably do not put that much tear and wear on that SD anyway, thus it might be more than okay with you.

5. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

The backing up was the smallest reason to get one. I would need if for X-Plane, and watching DVD's. How long do your other drives last you when you do that? Are they all the same?

6. simsaladimbamba

I have an LG something, that I have bought seven years ago, wrote dozens of DVDs with, then gave it to my brother, who used it several dozens of times to rip his DVD and CD collection and got it back last year, still working, but nowadays it is used maybe once in three months to write a DVD or so.

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

My Superdrive was good enough to rip over 500 music CDs and over 100 video DVDs. That is about all I would use an optical drive for these days. If I want to hand someone a lot of data, I would use a USB dongle, not burn a CD or DVD.

8. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Thanks :) The two main purposes for it would be X-Plane and films. Backing up is for small data once a year.

9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

The superdrive is fine, but if you're just going to get a USB optical drive, I might recommend this samsung drive.

My brother and I both have this drive, and we use it all the time for ripping both blu-ray and DVD media. I also use it to burn DVDs from time to time. It works with all the OS X system tools just as well as the superdrive, but I *believe* it's a slightly faster drive, but it definitely does Blu-Ray as well.

10. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Would be nice for watching a few Blu Ray films but that would be it for me. Seeing as blank Blu Rays are very rare and even when found are expensive. Plus, it is more expensive than than the SD and has a much cheaper build (would fit in with my Mac :p ).

Good post though, I was thinking about a Blu Ray drive but it just isn't worth it for me.

11. Ifti macrumors 68000

I would get a Samsung BluRay drive instead - the slim sleek ones!

I have had a SuperDrive for about 6 moths or so now - I have yet to even use it!! I just don't use discs any more!! lol

12. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I thought about that but there wasn't many things going for it when weighing up the odds.

It costs more than the SuperDrive
    It has a cheaper build over the SuperDrive (plastic vs aluminium)
    It's made by Samsung (you read correctly, I wouldn't be too happy with this black, plastic box sitting next to my iMac with Samsung imprinted on it ;) )
    Lack of sellers as well as high costs of blank Blu Ray disks
    The need for 3rd party software for watching Blu Rays (one of them required the Internet to decode it and required a high Internet speed)

The only plus would be that I could watch a Blu Ray film every now and then, but that is what Blu Ray players are for ;)

Thanks for the input though, I feel that the SuperDrive really is the best though for me at least.

13. dazed macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't limit myself to dvd, especially if your considering backing up.

I'd recommend a samsung blu ray drive, I've had one for nearly a year and it's been fabulous. I've backed up all my blu rays as well as backed up gigs of photos.

So much better value for money than the apple product.

14. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Seriously, I have had both. For $30 more, you get yourself the option to rip / write blu-rays. It looks nice, and if you don't like it, just put in a drawer... You'll probably end up using optical media way less than you think you will. But when you use it, you may want to go Blu-Ray. It's one thing to not want to deal with optical media... it's another entirely to purposefully close a door on your options over $30 and some plastic.

15. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

But in my country there is almost no one who sells bank Blu Rays and the people who do charge more than an actual film that has just been released on Blu Ray. My backups are small, and easily fit on DVD's. I will be using it for X-Plane and films (99% are of DVD's). So seeing as I won't be actually using it for Blu Rays and just DVD's(PC games that come on disk format don't even come on Blu Ray), then I would be spending 30-40 pound on a worse built product with Sasing written on it. Maybe if it were of more use, but I'd never buy a Samsung product at a higher price of an Apple one.

16. Ifti macrumors 68000

Aha. Another one like me - buy it cos it matches and looks good! Lol.
    I have to agree with your points though ;)

17. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Thanks :) Just my opinion. When I started this thread, I didn't know what was better for me but I have now come to the conclusion that, at least for me the SuperDrive is best. I have an understanding that for others, the Blu Ray drive is a great purchase. If Blu Ray's were adopted more and it was easier and cheaper to buy blanks, it would have been nice though.

18. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

19. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Doesn't look bad! I like the no slot idea of the SD though, like the PS3 :) I think I will pick the Superdrive though, I know where I can get it with a 2 year warranty. That LG is the best 3rd party one I have seen though :) Thanks for sharing!