Is the Synology DS110j a good NAS?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by solaronyx, Sep 29, 2011.

1. solaronyx, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

solaronyx macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of purchasing the Synology DS110j NAS, or the WD my book live 1TB NAS to backup my macbook pro. It's a little expensive for a backup solution, compared to the WD my book live. Has anyone use the DS110j with time machine running Lion? Also are the WD green hard drive good for backup? Or the WD my book live with Lion?

Thank you for your input

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

It's an excessive purchase just for backup, as any external drive will do rather than a NAS. However, if you want a NAS (with all the functions) then the Synology range are excellent.

Caviar Green drives are fine. I use them for my NAS and backups.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The 110j is an excellent NAS, I use one myself.

4. mudkip macrumors newbie

ALL NAS other than Time Capsule don't play well with Lion's Time Machine, even all NAS said it can support Lion in its latest firmware.

I own a WD My Book Live 2TB, it's good and simple (but not as functional as Synology), but it doesn't do well with Time Machine.

My Time Machine get corrupted after 1 week, then I made a new backup and it get corrupted again after several days. I checked some major NAS's forums including Synology, and I can see recently many users report the same problem in Lion. Seems it's a problem with Netatalk(afpd) in all non-Apple NAS.

So if Time Machine is important, currently Time Capsule is the only choice, until Netatalk solve this problem.

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Synology has updated their firmware and it works with Time Capsule. That said, I don't consider any single-drive unit to be a good NAS....I like at least a two drive unit, so you can RAID 1 the drives for a little better assurance of data integrity.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's an excellent NAS but I would also get a multibay NAS unit, in fact I did. ;)

I opted for the QNAP model, a bit more expensive but it offered features that I preferred over the synology. I don't believe you can go wrong with either model. I noticed that the Synology has some nice apps to control your NAS from your iPhone (or iPad) which is a handy option to have :)

7. solaronyx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone for your input. I am going to go with the WD my book live 1TB and external Hard drive as a second backup drive.