is the T-Mobile iPhone 6/6+ factory unlocked for any GSM network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whoknows87, Sep 19, 2014.

1. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

I don't have a phone in my possession, but was told by a few people that work at apple that the T-Mobile iPhone 6 is factory unlocked to work with any GSM network can anyone confirm this? I'm 100% sure that the verizon iPhone 5/5S/6/6+ are all factory unlocked out of the box but T-Mobile?

2. cosminnn93 macrumors member

Buy a AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon DEVICE ONLY!! from Apple store-unlocked.
    Buy any phone from the carriers-it's locked.

3. DaftDrunk macrumors regular

Through the desert on a horse with no name
    Only if you buy it from apple.com

source: I bought mine from apple.com and it is unlocked.

4. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

omg, search the forum!!!!!

5. p.jaws macrumors newbie

what do you guys think?

All works fine with my full price Tmobile iphone from apple store, with an att sim card in it.
    Switched to a Tmobile simcard (yep, don't ask, I need it for some days only) and alright, signal up, LTE, I was happy. Then this screen poped and tricked me (with Tmo sim card in): Blablabla new carrier settings update - now or later...? :eek:

Hmmm, should I update that and not worry about any "pay back" from Tmo? I really still want to go back to att in a week or so... Has this happened to anyone?

6. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Thanks for the replies guys, so if bought from T-Mobile it will be locked? would be nice to confirm with someone here who bought one from a T-Mobile store

7. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

oddly enough i bought a tmobile 6 from the apple store, plugged in a verizon sim, and it worked... weird

iphones from the tmobile store are locked, because they assume you are buying the phone on a EIP. to get it unlocked, u need to use it on Tmo for 40 days (lamesauce)