Is the T-Mobile iPhone 6 able to use CDMA?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sunbear, Sep 12, 2014.

1. sunbear macrumors newbie

The apple specs for the iPhone 6 suggest there are 3 different models for the iPhone 6:
    1. Model A1549 (GSM)*
    2. Model A1549 (CDMA)*
    3. Model A1586*

The only iPhone 6 that is available at the moment without a contract is from T-Mobile. I am guessing that if you purchase from T-Mobile you are given the Model A1549 (GSM).

Say I decide at a later stage to move to Verizon. Does anyone know if I will be able to use this model to connect to Verizon's CDMA network, or has apple completely excluded any CDMA capability from the T-Mobile model hardware/firmware?

If T-Mobile iPhone 6's aren't capable of CDMA then this would mean that it would not be possible to bring your device from T-Mobile and even make a phone call on the Verizon network (at least until Verizon rolls out VoLTE in 2015), limiting any portability to just AT&T and other non-US GSM networks. This would seem to make the Verizon Model A1549 (CDMA) of the iPhone 6 a more flexible choice than the Model A1549 (GSM) from T-Mobile (at least if I can believe the specs on the apple website).

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

no, you won't. you can go verizon to t-mobile, but not the other way around.

3. sunbear thread starter macrumors newbie

So are you saying that the hardware for the Verizon model differs from the T-Mobile model even though it confusingly has the same A1549 model number? That's a real shame if it's the case. It also implies that the Verizon model should have a higher resale value than the T-Mobile model.

4. JuNxXxReY macrumors regular

Actually, if your iPhone 6 is unlocked, it will work on CDMA.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1788548&highlight=verizon

5. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

The hardware is identical. Verizon basically has a list of IMEIs they'll allow on their network, and even if you have an unlocked phone that was sold as T-Mobile or AT&T, it still wont be on their list. Therefore it wont work on their network. It has the capability to work on their network, they just wont let it on.

----------

If it's unlocked, that means it's GSM unlocked. It will work with any GSM carrier in the US or Internationally, but not Verizon

Edit: Looks like I'm wrong.