Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommy060289

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Hey everyone,

with the recent capacity updates to the time capsule and the possibility of more features coming with lion, im thinking of exchanging my western digital NAS and Belkin router for a single box Time capsule, and since I can sell my old kit it wont cost me much at all:)

The only thing thats putting me off is that the time capsule if I read articles back around 2009 wasn't renowned for its reliability, with over heating problems chiefly around the 18 month mark.

Has this problem being rectified or is it still around?

Cheers,

Tom

fkhan3

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
I bought mine over a year ago and so far no problems with it. It does run hot but I am okay with it as long as it is stable.

I constantly backup data to it and have multiple printers attached. I also use the guest network capabiltiy and it all runs well.

The problems you mentioned were with earlier models (2008-2009) and those seem to have been fixed with firmware updates.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I bought mine over a year ago and so far no problems with it. It does run hot but I am okay with it as long as it is stable.

I constantly backup data to it and have multiple printers attached. I also use the guest network capabiltiy and it all runs well.

The problems you mentioned were with earlier models (2008-2009) and those seem to have been fixed with firmware updates.

The newer Time Capsules have slower 'Green' hard drives which run a lot cooler and help prevent the high temperatures which caused the power supply to fail in earlier models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.