Is the Time Capsule right for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JRYAN34, Jul 9, 2008.

1. JRYAN34 macrumors newbie

I am in a college dorm setting where I have access to wired/wireless setup. I am currently using an external hard drive to hold all my music/movies for itunes. Would it be better to go with the time capsule or buy a bigger internal hard drive to install.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

What I would suggest is to get a bigger external HDD. If you don't have issues with connecting the external HDD (rather than if you prefer wireless HDD), the Time Capsule wouldn't be a good choice. USB 2.0 and FW400/FW800 are way faster than the TC, whether it's connected wirelessly or via ethernet.

If however you're looking for an automated backup device that works with Time Machine in and/or a wireless HDD, then the TC is your best choice.

3. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

Time Capsule really is only good as backup storage for Time Machine. Granted I only have an original Macbook with Wireless-G, but it is way too slow to host your iTunes library on there. Wireless-N might make it tolerable, but it will most likely be pretty slow still.

For laptops, I am a fan of just getting a bigger internal drive if you need more room for media. Given how often laptops are brought around wherever you go, it is much easier to just carry the laptop instead of worrying about an external hard drive. Certainly much easier then having to carry a Time Capsule with you.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Time Machine is not suitable for a dormatory setting, not only may your college forbid the use of additional routers on the campus network, the Time Capsule is slow and pretty much is only good for Time Machine backups (if it's even good enough for that!).

I would just get an external drive; if you are looking for a networked solution, an Airdisk is faster than the TC.

5. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

If your dorm is like the ones i'm used to, go for the hard drive. I'm assuming your probably going to be plugged in on the desk anyway. The speed with a FW drive helps a lot.