Is the touch better than a DS? PSP?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheZimm, Nov 29, 2008.

?

What is Best?

1. iPod Touch(iTouchI dont like calling it this personallyDont Correct me or Ill have to report you =])

77.1%
  2. PSP

4.2%
  3. Nintendo DS

18.8%
  1. TheZimm macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

I say that it is much better than the DS. Also, once all these FPS finally come out it will be. What's your opinion, also vote!

Zym

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    The ds laughs in the faces of the touch and the psp, for sheer variety of games and the amounts of units sold. I love my ds and my iPhone 3g a lot, but the touch/iphone will never replace a dedicated gaming platform. With BUTTONS. I would vote but there is no poll.

3. TheZimm thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

updated

sry

Zym

4. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

5. TheZimm thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

in general, gaming, internet(PSP vs. touch) music(psp vs. touch)

Zym

6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

PSP is the best. The iPod Touch is not made for games despite what apple says. The PSP has the best graphics and some pretty good games as well as multimedia support.

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I think that nintendo has some of the most fun and innovative games/platforms. Look at the wii for example, people still line up for it, and it is always sold out everywhere. I am such a nintendo fanboy :cool:

I'm bias

8. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Well I'd say the iPod touch is best for internet and music/videos as the PSP fails in those regards. As for gaming, I don't think the touch will ever beat the PSP and DS, but it isn't bad either. As the platform matures more then it will get better, but as of right now the quality and variety of games on the Touch's platform just don't compare.

9. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Yeah but the DS Sucks. I had it for a year and there just wasn't many good games.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Also just the quality of the games. The DS has the most fun to play games, with the right level of depth, of any portable. The iPod touch and iPhone can compete with the DS, but really they need a lot more quality games.

Right now, there are just a small number of high quality iPhone games, and most of those even are extremely short. If Spore had 5-6x the play length and value, or Aurora Feint had a little bit more variety in play and all its features fully developed, that would be the kind of start the iPhone needs.

Or, alternatively, games at the cost level of Spore and Aurora Feint (e.g. $5-10 US) need to keep coming out, but there need to be a lot more games at this quality level at those kinds of prices.

When that happens, I think the iPod touch and the iPhone start to become contenders.

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I think it is good that there are both the psp and the ds, because it seems that they each focus on different genres of games. I wouldn't go as far as to say the PSP sucks but very few games for that system really interest me. I think that all three of the listed platforms have their strengths and weaknesses, but none of them "suck".

12. revisionA macrumors 6502

New to Ipod touch - just got the 8gig so I could keep myself entertained on business trips. The first app I got is Frenzic, which is a fun little puzzle game.

The touch is a good platform for a casual gamer, but the lack of buttons means sharing screen space with the controls - further limiting the platform. The fact it can sense wobbling of the whole unit may mitigate that if the programmers use it properly.

I like it but because it does so much, but this is only the first wave of games. There is no reason why you couldn't put Doom or some other classic games on this and really hit the market.

13. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

No the DS Sucks. PSP is good. DS just had way too many garbage games. That i would never want to play. I just think they need to bring more of the Console games to portables.

14. ZuneMan? macrumors regular

Techguy172, you are naive my friend. Obviously you havent played many DS games judging from your comments.

The iPod Touch will always be superior in terms of music and video. But in terms of games the DS trumps all. The games on the iPod Touch are really just mini-games and are just there to play when you're on the go.

I laugh at those who think the PSP is better than the DS and Touch. :p

15. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

For gaming? PSP and DS are much better. For everything else the Touch.

16. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Just because you think the DS is better makes me Naive Ok, whatever. Touch games are nothing compared to PSP. I think they are better maybe you need to try a PSP. They aren't really full out games. Just something you play to waste time.

DS wasn't bad I think it sucks compared to the PSP though. Nintendo can do so much more than they did. Touch screen just didn't work for many games. Racing games anyone? in ridge racer I think it was you used a stupid on screen steering wheel! That was just bad. Mario Kart was really good though. but I want more than just Nintendo Cartoon Games. I like action too and the Ds just doesn't have that many good ones.

17. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

I prefer my DS for gaming, but my touch does a great job for internet and music. The PSP is a quality system for games but it tries to do too much and does only one thing well.

18. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

19. ZuneMan? macrumors regular

Well to say the DS sucks is a bit harsh. I agree that it may have some garbage kiddie games but it also has some great action titles (Zelda, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania). I think there are a lot of games that incoporate the touch screen really well. But racing with a touch screen?! lol that is bad. :D

The PSP is alright, the graphics are of course better. Love GTA and the large screen is great for movies. But IMO the games dont appeal to me as much since they're basically ports from the console version. The DS offers a unique experience.

20. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

iPod touch all the way.
    Browsing the web on a PSP kills the battery.

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

First person shooter on the handheld have been pretty dissapointing for me.

The best one so far was Metroid Prime Hunter(for controlling) but even that wasn't ideal.

I'll keep my COD4 on my X360, and I'll play RPGs, Platformers, Racers, TBTs and 3rd person shooters(if done right, like Killzone:Liberation for the PSP)

22. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

iPod touch is kinda in between the PSP and the DS. It has a touchscreen like the DS, but a bigger screen, like the PSP.

23. 7even macrumors 6502a

Yes. Then again, for me the gaming abilities are a bonus - I use the media part of my iPod a lot more than the games..

24. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I would like to add that I've owned a DS.
    First it was a DS lite; the right hinge broke. It was a manufacturing defect Nintendo wanted me to pay $70 for.
    Then I got a used original DS. The top screen has a bunch of dead pixels that just appeared there one day.

25. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I am 50/50 with DS and Touch. Touch is much better hardware but DS has Mario, Zelda, Metroid..ect. If Touch has those franchises, endless fun!

Microsoft buying Nintendo = crap
    Apple buying Nntendo = Amazing!