Is the Touch ID ever unresponsive when you're trying to use Reachability?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Oct 11, 2014.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

About one out of every three times I go to use reachability I have to double tap the Touch ID twice, hitting it a total of 4 times before it responds and lowers the screen. Very annoying as this is a very frequently used feature and the only way to reach the top of the screen.

Could this be because I calibrated my thumb poorly on setup? I highly doubt it.

2. airlied macrumors regular

airlied

Yes it's a bug, yes it's a software bug and no, you are not on your own. After apple's keynote some tech media found this bug on their demonstration phones at conference centre. And since Touch ID is so accurate on recognising your fingerprints. It can't miss your double tap. Wait to see if apple fixes this.

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

How is the leading smartphone manufacturer always releasing software/hardware with so many flaws?

4. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Because Apple isn't perfect, and most people outside of these forums are okay with that.

5. airlied macrumors regular

airlied

Well I believe that ios 8 still need one month or more for debugging, but apple launched it anyway because of the new iPhone.

6. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Only bc they don't know any better and most don't even notice the bugs.

7. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it...

In all seriousness though, you're right. And they're working on the bugs as we speak- I'm on 8.1 beta 2, and Reachability is almost flawless. It only fails when I tap my thumbs really fast. It would be nice if they could fix that, but overall it works fine.

8. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Reachabilty is still somewhat buggy. Next update might fix the issue

9. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Did they fix it?

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I just did it 10 times up and down consecutive with no issues so it might be a bug effecting certain users only

11. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Is it fixed for you in the official release of 8.1?

12. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Yes. But something I realized about Reachability is that the Touch ID sensor has nothing to do with it. Whether or not it activates is a result of how much of your finger is touching the capacitive ring. Generally, as long as 40% or more of the metal ring is touching my finger, it activates Reachability. Tapping the center of the button with my pinky never activates it.

13. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

I noticed this too, but it looks like they fixed it with iOS 8.1.

14. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Wait so it wasn't an iOS 8 bug? That 40% thing is incorrect, I just tried it 4 times in a row with my entire thumb covering it and no response. This better just be a glitch.

15. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

I can honestly say that it happens to me...sometimes. It's not something I can replicate, there's no situation that it always occurs in, but there are times I'll double tap and it doesn't work.

16. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

That's why I said when my finger is touching 40% of the ring.

And it's definitely an iOS 8 bug. That said, I'm not sure why it's not working for you. All I can think of is that you're double touching the button too quickly... I wish I could be more helpful, but that's all I can think of aside from a hardware defect.

17. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I haven't updated to 8.1, could that be why?

18. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

That could help the issue, but to my knowledge Reachability was not specifically addressed. Still, 8.1 has a lot of other nice fixes that make it worth it. If that doesn't help, I would suggest asking someone else to try and double touch the sensor. If they have trouble too, it would be worth taking it to the Apple Store.

19. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

If its definitely a known software issue why would that matter?

20. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I've had other bugs but not this one. I was thinking this afternoon how annoying it would be for this to stop working and here is a thread about it....weird...

21. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I think I may have been a little unclear in my wording earlier. Up to iOS 8.0.2, it was definitely a software issue. There was a bug fix pertaining to Reachability in 8.0.2, and it's been working great for me ever since. So I don't know- maybe there are more software bugs to work out? But either way it works fine for me and seems to be working fine for others, which is why I suggested you either have someone else try it on your phone or take it to an Apple Store.

22. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I thought you said Reachability was not specifically addressed?

23. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I said that it was not addressed in 8.1. It was addressed in 8.0.2.