Is the unified iOS good for the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lozpop, Oct 31, 2010.

1. lozpop macrumors 6502

Now that iOS has been unified for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, don't you think that the iPad will be "slowed" and limited by this choice?

Steve Jobs considers the iPad a new model of computing and the Apple vision of "what's next".

So why they put in it the same identical OS of an iPhone? Ok, there are some differences, but it's absurd that the iPad doesn't have at least some software key features.

For example, Apple included Multitasking and Folders exactly like on the iPhone. No widget style, multiple windows management, etc. Just enlarged.

I really hoped for an iPad OS, obviously with the same guidelines for developers, but at a different level from the iPhone OS.

But now that Apple has unified iOS for eveything, I really have the fear that iPad, iPhones and iPod touch will HAVE TO evolve at the same level, and considering the real potential of a device like the iPad, this is discouraging.

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

For the record.

I don't like this unified idea.

The iPad is, thanks to it's screen, a different device and should not be treated as a giant iPhone.

I want them to break the iPad away from the Phone and Touch and make it into it's own independent device.

It will only hurt the iPad in the long run if they don't make it into something more.

3. xraytech macrumors 68020

@ OP

It's only Unified in name. Those who downloaded the betas will testify that there are like 5 or 6 versions of iOS 4.2

All three platforms will evolve independently.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Its been the same OS since the launch of the iPad, the only difference being that the iPhone got iOs 4 before the iPad.

also the iPad already has unique software features such as popovers.

From a developer standpoint, you want all iDevices to share the same OS. it makes development a lot easier and cheaper and more and more developers are adapting their iPhone apps to fit on the iPad.

5. lozpop thread starter macrumors 6502

For "unique software features" I mean, for example, a desktop-class Safari, not like on the iPhone. And this is just one example.

6. lozpop thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, there are different IPSW files for every device, but I don't think that the iPad will not be different from the iPhone software in an important way. At least not in these first years.