Is the unlimited data only for certain apps?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Full of Win, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

To begin, I hate ATT. I really do, to the point that I take pleasure in burning data by downloading podcast I never listen to, just to use their data up. Anyhow, up until this point, I have down my data burning with Apple apps (e.g. iTunes) and YouTube via the Apple app. But I noticed the other day that Atomic Browser lets you now download any size file over 3G and does not impose the 20MB rule that iTunes or other apps do. In fact, I used it to download a 230 MB update for an app I use, and it worked like a charm.

So, here is the question. Has anyone had any experience in ATT only honoring unlimited for Apple apps? Atomic Browser was approved by Apple and its on a non-jailbroken device. I've kept everything above board.

I would really like to make my data usage mean something by downloading useful things (e.g. the 1 GB OS X system updates) over 3G, but I don't want to lose my unlimited golden ticket as a result.

Any experiences would be welcomed.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 20Mb limit is imposed by Apple for all carriers world wide. Its there because they don't want the networks too clogged. If you want this restriction gone, you'll have to jailbreak and install 3G Unrestricted or My3G.

3. Full of Win thread starter macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Atomic Browser lets you now DL files over 20 MB over 3G. This app was approved by Apple and is running on a non-JB iPad. To get the file, you need to sync with iTunes.

4. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

If you have unlimited data, its just that unlimited. Some people on JB iphones go well over 7GBs with no warnings.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Its a restriction that Apple put on their own apps. iTunes Store, App Store, FaceTime, YouTube, and Mail. None of them will download anything bigger then 20Mb over 3G. YouTube streams a lower quality video over 3G, FaceTime doesn't work at all over 3G, and Mail won't download an attachment that's over 20Mb. I would guess that Safari has similar limitations as Mail.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You are confusing two different things. Apple has a self imposed 20MB limit for Apps (but none for video), which they have because they have some issues with timeouts on the App store, and haven't solved, to an appreciable degree, the continuing download problem. Your data plan, is Unlimited, and has no restrictions (aside from magical, hidden values that may garner a call from at&t). There is nothing to worry about. Also, remember often YouTube videos are more than 20 MB, as is nearly anything you can stream.

TEG