is the unlocked 4S just pure profit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bniu, Oct 10, 2011.

1. bniu macrumors 6502a

Is the unlocked iPhone 4S just pure profit for apple? For $849, that's the same cost of a refurbished Apple 27" Cinema Display! Actually, are iPhones just purely profit as the carriers would be subsidizing $450 of the cost?

Not complaining, as it will bring up my shares of Apple :D

2. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

It's fair to say that Apple might earn slightly more if you buy the iPhone unlocked instead of subsidised. This could be due in part to agreements with the networks on bulk purchases. Although, if you buy it direct, Apple have to deal with retail, credit card transactions and shipping, so maybe it balances out.

Who knows! :p

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

iPhone 4S unlocked starting price at $649 in the US. Don't know where u got $849 from.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

That is the same price as the locked phone if purchased through a carrier with no subsidy. But, yeah, there's a lot of profit - locked or unlocked. Apple didn't get cash reserves of $76 billion by losing money on products.

5. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i preodered thru verizon....how do i unlock it if i wanna sell it?

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Call Verizon. Someone on here said that if you have an account with them for 60 days, they said they'll have no problem unlocking it. Don't quote me on this though, carriers in the US don't like to be too fond of unlocking phones for you.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Pure profit?
    Why you think when you pay $199 for your phone with a contract Apple doesnt get the rest of the money by AT&T, Sprint of Verizon?
    Either way you buy their product its profit.

8. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Keep yours eyes open on the macrumors front page. Eventually, someone will tear down iPhone 4S, price out the individual components, and come up with a manufacturing cost.

9. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

why not? is it smart to unlock it before i sell it?

10. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Originally since the original days of GSM phones, it was to make sure you fulfill your contract and don't run off with the same phone to a different carrier.

Today, it is most likely for the same reason, but they don't want to unlock it! :mad: