Is the unlocked iPhone 4 worth its price?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tears Apart, Nov 9, 2010.

?

Is the unlocked iPhone 4 worth its price?

1. Absolutely - its features objectively pay off!

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Worth it, but only subjectively

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  3. Not worth, maybe for fans

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Way too expensive for what it offers

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Tears Apart, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

I always thought the unlocked iPhone 4 was objectively too pricey for what it offers. I'm not rich and always try to get the best out of my money.

However, after I gave in and bought the shiny gadget after months of craving, I consider myself a convert.

What do you think? Of course to each has a different personal value, but objectively - do you think the unlocked iPhone 4 has a proper price tag?

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Its tough to say. For me ATT is sufficient although expensive, but even thats relative. To me the price tag is high but I wold go that route if I needed to.
    I have a few friends on T Mobile one has an unlocked phone and doesn't have to worry about unlocks, to him its worth it.
    So two cases, two different thoughts.

3. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

its a high quality piece of kit with some great features, and just oozes style. With that in mind, and the fact that I only have a 3gs at the moment, I think they are worth it. After all, Apple kit doesnt lose value as quickly as other brands, it just works, and it looks phenomenal.

That being said, it is all relative. To some folk, £500+ is a lot of money to spend on a phone when you can get say the San Francisco on Orange for £100.

I think the real question is, do you feel that its worth it, and are you happy with your purchase, or just trying to convince yourself not to regret it?

4. Tears Apart thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Haha, good point.

But no, regrets didn't come into play in my case. It was a thoroughly considered purchase and as I said I am extremely happy with it. To the extent that I no more consider it too pricey!

5. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

All is good then! I was originally holding out for the white version, as I'm a bit silly like that. Guess I will be waiting for the white iPhone 5 as well.

6. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

It will become more obvious that your factory unlocked iPhone 4 really was too pricey, when the next new iPhone is released in June 2011.

7. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

Only if one decides to upgrade to the iPhone 5 (if it happens) - I tend to miss a generation each time, missing iPhone 4 at the moment, but will prob get a 5 if its released next year

8. Tears Apart thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

I do try to focus on the "right" generations as well.

For example I adopted the first line of Intel MacBook Pro in 2006 and still have it. My matte 15'' 1.83 still rocks for my (pretty advanced) needs after more than 4 years!

In the same line of thought, I hope that in hindsight I will look at the iPhone 4 the same way I look at my Intel Core Duo - the turning point in terms of value longevity.