Is the upgrade to Lion worth it ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by msdmn, Mar 20, 2012.

1. msdmn macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm running Snow Leopard on my mac and it's doing fine but out of curiosity i wanted to try Lion.

The thing is since Mountain Lion will be available in a few months i was wondering if it is worth the hassle of upgrading to Lion and then changing again to Mountain Lion in a short period of time.

Did apple indicate if it will be possible to go from Snow Leopard directly to Mountain Lion ?

Any ideas on how much will they charge for Mountain Lion upgrade ?

Thanks

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I upgraded SL to the developer preview of ML (on a spare HDD of course). That doesn't mean Apple will support it but it is possible. I expect the price to be $29 but again this is pure speculation based on pricing of Lion and SL.

If you do decide to upgrade to Lion, don't forget to make yourself an "install usb stick" because the install app deletes itself after it's done and the only way to get it again would be to sit through the 3+ gig download again.

3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Based on past experience, it shouldn't be possible to easily go from SL to ML.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

well the reason you needed SL for Lion was you needed MAS, now if you have SL and MAS do you still think they will come up with a new reason you need the previous OS to go to the next?

5. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

maybe. Microsoft did it moving towards windows 7 Apple is a business they want to make money. Why not force people to buy Lion only to get ML?

6. jackhdev macrumors 6502

You're right, Apple does this all the time. I love their products, but they have the attitude that when they come out with a product, everyone should just open up their wallets and hand them another $800 as though it is no big deal (very frustrating). I would wait until the final details about Mountain Lion come out. If you need to upgrade to Lion in order to get to Mountain Lion, you'll be spending the $30 anyway. If you don't need Lion, you just saved $30!

7. msdmn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your insights

I think i agree with iisforiphone

I don't see Apple forcing Snow Leopard users to buy two licences and perform two upgrades

And since the MAS is quite rigid i don't think they'll put two 'apps' in their;
    One for those running Lion and another one (a little more expensive) for those running Snow Leopard

But then again.. Apple's mysterious ways

8. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Why wouldn't you want to upgrade it will give you a few months to familiarize yourself with the new OS.

9. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

To answer your question in a slightly different context ...

There are sometimes OS releases that are really solid, relatively. For instance, Windows NT was a very good Windows. But Windows ME was awful. Mac OS X Tiger has to be one of the most solid, put together, coherent OS X releases ever. And it just got better through the updates. (Writing on a Tiger machine now.) While Leopard broke some things (namely, X11), Snow Leopard was pretty solid.

Lion in my opinion is a mess. It seems to be a poorly implemented marriage of iOS and OS X. Spaces have been replaced with less configurable Desktops. The save/save as/export model is very confusing, and there are inconsistencies with whatever it means to resume the state, which has had some hard-to-predict, unintuitive behavior (applications that re-open even after they were closed and applications that open with some saved state even if everything is closed previously). Natural scrolling is not natural for a trackpad model (though is for a touch screen model, and this is easy to configure, although the option was missing on one of my computer's system preferences at first!).

I was foolhardy in upgrading my working machines (MP, MBP) to Lion and regret it. I wish I were still on Snow Leopard. But, I do have hopes for Mountain Lion.

If you have time and are curious enough to want to play with Lion, then it's not like there are show-stopping security concerns that should stop you. But the transition from SL to Lion was a big one in terms of some kind of computing paradigm in which there is a hybrid between mobile and desktop features.

The big thing about ML that I'm wary of is whether or not Apple is going to try to push this RIDICULOUS document model in which applications own documents that have to be exported (is it a copy that needs to be copied back? is it a move?) to other applications in order to use them. There are some suggestions with new Mac App Store guidelines that suggest this. From someone coming from the UNIX applications perspective of one application that does a very specific job very well (cp, mv, ls, etc.), this is going to invariably push developers to integrate every task into one application. Sounds great, until we come across applications that are really good at one thing but really bad at other things, facilitating the need for document sharing across applications. (One example of this is Papers -- great at PDF management and discovery, not nearly as good at BibTeX as BibDesk.)

So, if you have good cause and some spare "time" (I mean that in terms of not affecting your work), then Lion isn't the worst thing you can do, and it will get you ready for ML. But it's enough of a change from SL to Lion and beyond to really consider what one needs.

10. Augure macrumors regular

No, Lion sucks, everybody knows that, and Mountain Lion looks like it add more useless functions

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Wow, so much animosity, and so little accuracy.

OP, Lion works great. If you have software that requires Rosetta to run or has another problem with Lion, then wait, but as an OS, it has very few problems, and those problems that exist affect only a small minority of users. They are, unfortunately, often very vocal users, so you see some mindless posts like the one above, but overall, most users of Lion are quite satisfied.

I will note that if you're considering it just out of curiosity, but you'd like to not waste money, it's probably best to wait for Mountain Lion. We don't know yet if you'll be able to upgrade directly, of course, although there will likely be a workaround even if it's not officially supported. It's your money and your choice, but Lion is stable and works well for the vast majority of users, so I would declare it safe to try.

jW