Is the upgrade worth it right now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tislight, Feb 28, 2011.

1. tislight macrumors newbie

Ok, guys; I have a mid 2009 2.8ghz dual core Macbook Pro with 2 years left of applecare and have been thinking about upgrading to the current quad core i7 2.2ghz model. I don't game nor do any type of video editing. I run an online business from home, and I am also a full time grad student. I use my laptop for convenience only. I usually do most of my work on my iMac.

Is there any advantage to upgrading now? I just don't want to hold my current Macbook until it's not worth much on the secondary market. However, it does still have 2 years of warranty left.

2. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Keep it. Thats still a very capable machine. You wont notice a difference in speed at all. Especially considering your needs are not very power hungry.

3. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Given what you do with your MBP, your current one is fine. :) However, if you can afford to upgrade, I don't see why not. I say GO FOR IT. :D

4. tislight thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I also forgot to mention that I will be out of school after this semester so this will be my last chance for the education discount as well.

5. vsighi, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

Keep it... the next apple refresh...
    - New intel Ivy Bridge @ 22nm "Ivy Bridge will offer a 20 % CPU performance advantage over Sandy Bridge "
    - Light Peack v1.2
    - USB 3.0 will be suported look like in 2012 with Intel new Panter Point chipset...
    - New redisign MBP with liquidmetal
    - Lion OS
    - 1080p HD Display
    - May be new batery technology...?
    - Blu-ray OPTICAL DRIVE...oooh s*** I made that up :D

6. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

And maybe even using both SATA III ports, instead of leaving one empty and wasted.... :confused:

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

i don't think they check online :p

9. kjos8035 macrumors member

/made up and horribly spelled specs

10. snouter macrumors 6502a

and 1080P would be fail.

I like my 1920x1200 just fine.

11. gchhour macrumors member

Keep it, your computer is still pretty good. With your specs on your Macbook Pro you don't really need anything higher than that if your not going to be doing any gaming, video editing, picture editing... etc.

12. kjos8035 macrumors member

Forgot to mention that. Also, I heard from teh easter bunny that in 2014 Apple is releasing a MBP that will assemble a personal space vehicle from scratch with its bionic arms that extend from the current location of the optical drive.

13. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

I can only dream of the day when lame and outdated jokes like these cease to exist.

14. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

This is true -- and it will have 2 internal SATA V connections that can carry 200Gb/s, only one of which will be used.

The obligatory SuperDrive will still be connected to a SATA II port, precluding you from doing anything with that bay.

15. tislight thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I guess I will probably hang onto this one for another year. Hopefully it's worth something at that point as it will still have a year left on its warranty.

Upgrading is just so tempting. I forget that 80% of the people out there, including me, really can't gain from upgrading when they currently have a pc that isn't a slouch. The geekbench numbers just make you want more!!

16. kjos8035 macrumors member

The only joke here is people speculating in over 9,000 different topics what and when will be released in the next update.

17. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

+1 man..... +1

18. LucasG macrumors regular

LucasG

If I had the money and selling the old one would help me get the refresh for not much more, I'd definitely go for it.

19. tislight thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you consider "not much more"? I figured it out and I can probably get 1,300-1,400 for my current Macbook on ebay which will leave me with about 1,200-1,300 after fees. Then with the education discount and the added Hi-res screen the total for the new one will be around 2,250 with the tax. So we are talking about a $1,000 out of pocket expense. Not to mention, my current Macbook has 2 full years left with Applecare and the new one will only come with a 1 year warranty unless I buy the added Applecare.

This is why I asked the question in the first place. Is holding on to my current one going to make sense? I am not sure how much it will sell for in another year.