Is the Upgrade Worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thetechfixer, Dec 15, 2014.

1. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

Hi Guys, I currently have a Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13"

Specs are the Dual Core Intel Core i5 2.3GHz the 2415M

8GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM

120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD

This machine is starting to slow down for me so I am looking to pick up a new machine. Specifically the Late 2013 Refurbished MacBook Pro 13" Retina

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/F...nch-macbook-pro-24ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

This Retina will have the 2.4GHz i5
    8GB of RAM
    256GB SSD

Would this be much of an upgrade for me, this machine is 3 years newer than my machine but my machine has been maxed out as well with 8GB of RAM and an SSD. Really looking to get a new machine as this current one is starting to give me problems. Thanks Guys

2. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Well, how is your current machine slow? During a certain process? Truthfully, these 13" Retinas are faster than what you have, but it's a matter of opinion whether they are appreciably faster than what you have. Solid state storage is a game changer, but you have that. It's a worthwhile upgrade, given the sheer beauty of the Retina display. But, I doubt the performance gains will knock your socks off.

I was in a similar situation to you, early-2011 13" w/ 8GB of RAM and an SSD. I recently upgraded but to the 15" Retina. More of a performance difference there.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Try repairing disk permissions in the Disk utility and an SMC and PRAM reset before you even think about getting a new one.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

How and when is it slow? The newer machine won't give you much of a "WOW" seeing as you're on a 2011 machine that already has a SSD.

You may be suffering from the 840 EVO bug though... These little guys tend to slow way down with old files if the firmware isn't updated.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Before making the plung, you do need to find out what the bottleneck on your system is, because otherwise you might be just spending money that you don't need to.

In the process of upgrading my current 2008 MBP to an SSD, I realized I was doing a few things that really slowed things down in my old system. Heck before the upgrade i cut my login time and other tasks in half my just doing a few tweaks. :eek:

6. HipsterGG macrumors member

HipsterGG

Last sunday I bought the most current rMBP 13" and I say it's worth it. I don't think the updates will happen in early '15 but more like summer '15. But there will always be one golden rule in most cases.

Do you really need it now, purchase it.
    You don't need it right now, wait for the update.

My rMBP is functioning wonderful and it does everything better then expected. Really happy I updated.

7. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I would say the retina MacBook Pro will be updated in H1 2015, but it could be in June. The 13" retina MacBook Pro is a great machine.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You don't define what you're using it for, so its hard to say how much a newer machine may benefit you, what could be the possible causes of your current machine slowing down.