Is the upgrade worth it?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by EvanEiga, Sep 20, 2016.

1. EvanEiga macrumors member

Sorry if this topic has been brought up before.

I wasn't really thinking about getting AW S2, but I've read couple reviews and it actually looks very nice.

However I don't really see any real upgrades that I would need. I don't swim, and I carry my phone with me at all time so independent GPS isn't worth much to me. The extra speed bump is nice, but I hardly use any apps. I mean..does anyone really use Apple Watch apps? The digital crown is a tiny bit sticky now so that might be the only reason for me personally to upgrade.

Also, does stainless steel scratch easily on Apple Watch? I like the black SS and I refuse to put a case on watch whats so ever lol

2. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

I'm with you. Hard to justify the update when the watch, like the 7 series looks the same as last year.

Sigh…seems like next year will be where it's at.

3. CrackerJackToy macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

I agree. As someone who always has to have the latest and greatest, the only benefit this watch could have for me is the 25% brighter screen. But then again, I can see my watch face just fine in all lighting conditions. And if its anything like the new iPhone 7's 25% increase in screen brightness...you won't even notice it.

4. aplnub macrumors regular

My battery life has been exceptional. 48 hours and I have 30% left. Swim proof is why I upgrade but the battery life is now #2.

5. BLuRRnAWAY macrumors newbie

So I've had mine since launch day, I had the old one and my wife has the first one.

If you don't need the GPS / water proofing / longer battery than don't do it.

I see you said you don't use any apps so the processor is not going to help too too much. However since it's much faster, you may now give apps a chance!

I would lay pros/cons out and make a decision.

I'm loving mine so far, the GPS was my selling point and the water proofing!

6. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I thought about getting another one. Not really upgrading but adding. The First gen. GPS is a little buggy. IDK if it was my location or what that causes it to stop working. Waterproof is nice and its suppose to have a better image display.

If you are happy with what you got then keep it. I'm gonna try to duplicate the issues I have with the first one before deciding to buy another one.

7. BLuRRnAWAY macrumors newbie

Try making sure you iPhone is out of range before starting your run- this may cause it to do that! I've had no issues with mine!

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Not to nit pick but the screen brightness at max has more than doubled going from 450 to 1000 nits. The 25% was for the iPhone I believe. Just wanted to point that out in case it was a factor you were considering.

All that said my wife has a gen 1 and has never complained about brightness either. It's been overcast here in New England since I got mine so I can't get a good side by side impression here.

9. Hoyohoyo macrumors newbie

Hoyohoyo

For Apple products or any IT gadges, buying the latest one is a no brainer.
    But... this doesnt apply to AW.
    If u r not a runner (or handphone is always with u like me) or a swimmer (even swim also without any watches). AW S2 is only good at faster CPU and brighter screen. Since WatchOS 3 gives a new life to AW S0 (someone says the best upgrade for the "worst" Apple product), u can easily get a S0 at very low price at ur local reseller shops. Here in my place, they even give half price for brand new sealed AW S0 stainless steel with beautiful Milannese strap. How can you imagine half price for an Apple product ever before? It nve happened in my memory. My 5 cents. Thx.

10. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Wait to next year for a redesign. Series 2 is the equivalent to the iPhone 7.
    "The lost generations 2016"

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I was hoping for more encouragement (features) to upgrade. I always run/bike with my iPhone (also use a Garmin) so GPS isn't an advantage. If Apple had restricted mapping to the S2 that would have been a persuader but I'm getting the same maps on my S0. While the water rating is improved the S0 passes all 'normal' user water experiences with the only 'real' advantage being Swim Workouts (and I'm not much of a swimmer). Plus I needed a couple of 'new' features like a barometer and maybe BP, Glucose, O2, stress analyzer or other types of health sensors. Would like the faster speed and will probably buy one sometime next year on sale for the larger battery.

Just for a nearly 2 year update cycle the S2 is very underwhelming and even watching the announcement event the 'Kool Aid' was rather 'watery'. Also the same applies to the iPhone 7. I just don't have ANY upgrade fever.

Hope Apple brings some excitement to the iPad next month (which is looking meh to not).

12. BaddAdvice macrumors member

BaddAdvice

Maybe look into getting an S1 vs. an S2? I did that just for the updated processor (and a chance to try out a new color). A brighter screen would be nice, but it's not a deal-breaker for me.

13. EvanEiga thread starter macrumors member

Brighter screen is nice. I actually just sold my AW S0 to best buy for 134 bucks and as soon as Best buy restocks, I should pick up a S2. I mean S1 is faster and its great, but for 100 bucks more I guess I would get all these new features that I may or may not even use lol

14. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'd say the S2 is more for the people who didn't think the S0 had enough stuff.

If you're happy with the S0, the S2 might not be different enough to push you to upgrade. If you had already passed on the S0 and were saying, "But if the screen were brighter, and the processor was faster, and it had its own GPS...", then the S2 is exactly what you wanted.

Me, no, I don't feel like upgrading. But my wife, who uses the Nike app on her phone for her walks, would probably like the native GPS on the S2.