Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davegreb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Atlanta,GA
Do you wonder sometimes before the purchase of your next Apple product, do I need this? Could I do without this? What about the homeless people in my city? What about the starving people around the world?

70% of the US economy is based on consumer spending, yet it's also perceived within it's borders as the religious moral authority in the world?

When we read about Jesus, he wore simple clothes and walked everywhere helping the poor, sick and disabled.

Is there a contradiction here??

Confession: I'd like to confess I've purchased my fair share of Apple products, but now I buy second hand ones or live without. I find it hard to resist, but I also don't want to be sucked in, i want to be able to say no, I can resist.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I find it weird that you are talking about US while your location is London, UK... There will be homeless people, no matter do you buy Apple products or not. I have no issues spending my hard earned money for something, it's my money and I've worked for it.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Just capitalism.

In order for our world to function and evolve, capitalism needs to exist. Just the way it is, and the way it can really only be. For there to be rich, there needs to be poor.

Maybe one day, when the machine becomes a full component of our lives, in that, machines do the dirty work in our world and keep the world spinning as such, that we'll no longer need money, thus ending world suffering. A world where food is available to everyone thanks to machines and robotics. But then, capitalism would cease to exist - what would drive one to become successful if there was no way to show it? Money wouldn't exist, and that's the main factor in success..

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I lived with no money for a time (not homeless though) so I know what it's like to go without. I used to read threads here about people being silly with large sums of money, but the way I see it - if someone works hard for their money then they can jolly well do whatever they want with it.

I have enough self control to only upgrade when I need to (4 year old iPod and iMac, still going strong). Once they break I'll have one hell of an awesome upgrade leap, of course. But that also extends to charity. I barely make enough as it is, and incase I need the money its there. So I don't give any of it away.

I do try and help by giving stuff away that I don't need any more like clothes, watches, volunteering etc. I'm not totally evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.