darnovo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/FTlvggP.jpg

So I have this crack in the part of my screen of my 15" Macbook Pro that has the wording on it. It's not apart of the actual screen, but in the housing for the screen. I am guessing that due to the way Apple designs their machines, that I would have to replace the entire monitor to fix this crack that doesn't effect the machine in any way (so far). However, is the value of this down the ******* because of the crack in terms of wanting to get a decent resale value. Any way to fix this cheaply?

Thanks!

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
That bezel is a $12 piece you can order from AliExpress. It's easily replaceable.

Reactions: haruhiko
Comment

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
That bezel is a $12 piece you can order from AliExpress. It's easily replaceable.

WTF? No. These displays are bonded. ANY damage to the display requires replacement of the entire display assembly for a 2017.

Comment

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
This is not a replacement but rather a cover up stick on, LOL. So it will be thicker on the lower edge than the rest of the display. It'll look great lol. Save the $12 and use electrical tape a silver sharpie if this is what meets your standards.

Other than a cheap stick on, you have to replace the entire display to properly repair it if you decide.

Comment

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
This is not a replacement but rather a cover up stick on, LOL. So it will be thicker on the lower edge than the rest of the display. It'll look great lol. Save the $12 and use electrical tape a silver sharpie if this is what meets your standards.

Comment

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017

Didn't realize a stick on was within your standards, carry on lol.

LOL. Do you not have Google?

The replacement process is shown at 7:50.

Reactions: SigEp265
Comment

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

No getting around it.
You made a mistake by not checking the MBP before you closed it, and now it's seriously damaged.

Yes, it's "value" is seriously impacted by such damage.
But... so long as you keep it and continue to use it, there's no "real loss".
The lost value only enters into the picture if you want to sell it.

If you can put something over it to just "cover it up" cosmetically, might be worth doing so.
But replacing the display isn't going to be cheap.

If it was me, I'd probably choose "cover up"... ;)

Comment

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
OP:

No getting around it.
You made a mistake by not checking the MBP before you closed it, and now it's seriously damaged.

Yes, it's "value" is seriously impacted by such damage.
But... so long as you keep it and continue to use it, there's no "real loss".
The lost value only enters into the picture if you want to sell it.

If you can put something over it to just "cover it up" cosmetically, might be worth doing so.
But replacing the display isn't going to be cheap.

If it was me, I'd probably choose "cover up"... ;)

I’d choose replacing the bezel for $12.

Reactions: SigEp265
Comment

leman

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2008
Yeah, such an easy fix. Just a 12$ part, a pile of tools (which probably cost another 100$ at least), a steady hand + repair experience, and a procedure that leaves you with high chance of permanently destroying your machine...

Reactions: PlayUltimate
Comment

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
Yeah, such an easy fix. Just a 12$ part, a pile of tools (which probably cost another 100$ at least), a steady hand + repair experience, and a procedure that leaves you with high chance of permanently destroying your machine...

Meanwhile, the rest of us are using a hairdryer and a set of tools that cost less than $5.

But given your comments above, I'm not surprised you completely overestimated the difficulty, risk, and cost of the repair.

Comment

leman

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2008
Meanwhile, the rest of us are using a hairdryer and a set of tools that cost less than $5.

Sorry, I wouldn't be comfortable doing that. A hairdryer to melt the glue? What is the likelihood of it damaging the LCD? A heat gun is at least precise. Of course, if its a throwaway machine, I'd do it just for fun, but for a computer that still has some value in it...

But given your comments above, I'm not surprised you completely overestimated the difficulty, risk, and cost of the repair.

Which comments above? o_O Its my first post in the thread. I think you confuse me with someone.

Comment

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm 99.99% sure that I had a black pen that fell into the track and I didn't see it as it blended in and I tried shutting the lid and crunch!
I heard the crunch while reading this and it made me shiver.

Sorry this happened to you, but looks like you will have to replace the whole monitor if you want it fixed. If you have AppleCare + you could get it fixed under accidental damage otherwise that’s a pricey repair (to fix it correctly).

If you don’t have AppleCare +, and the screen itself doesn’t have any damages and functions fine still, you might just continue using it as is. That’s coming from a penny-pincher, but unless the cracks spread or it is causing display issues that looks like more of a cosmetic issue than a technical one at this point.

As for resale value, yeah it’s worth less if it’s not properly repaired, although some people out there won’t care as much as others about the damage.

Comment

darnovo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
I heard the crunch while reading this and it made me shiver.

Sorry this happened to you, but looks like you will have to replace the whole monitor if you want it fixed. If you have AppleCare + you could get it fixed under accidental damage otherwise that’s a pricey repair (to fix it correctly).

If you don’t have AppleCare +, and the screen itself doesn’t have any damages and functions fine still, you might just continue using it as is. That’s coming from a penny-pincher, but unless the cracks spread or it is causing display issues that looks like more of a cosmetic issue than a technical one at this point.

As for resale value, yeah it’s worth less if it’s not properly repaired, although some people out there won’t care as much as others about the damage.

yea, looks like im just going to continue to use as it until this laptop croaks one day! lol

Reactions: Painter2002
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.