Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tummy

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
How do you know what screen type you're using? Where do you find the 4 digit part number someone posted here?

I think the screen is pretty crappy in comparison to my old Macbook Air. I'm thinking of returning the MB and waiting for the new Air. I'm going to greatly miss the MB performance increase in comparison, but I don't think I can live with the crappy screen. Gives me eye strain looking at it and makes my cheap Samsung 24" TN display look really good in comparison.

1appleAday

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
I went to the Apple store this weekend and found that while the new MB design is nice, the picture quality of its screen is still not as good as the new MBP or MBA. The color on the MB screen is just not as vivid and rich as the other two. Kind of disappointed at that. :(

BoingoBongo

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
I went to the Apple store this weekend and found that while the new MB design is nice, the picture quality of its screen is still not as good as the new MBP or MBA. The color on the MB screen is just not as vivid and rich as the other two. Kind of disappointed at that. :(

I kind of noticed that too when I was at the Apple Store, but once I got my MB home, I was really impressed. Especially when I compared it to my old white MacBook. The screen is great. :)

goofyfoot

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2005
Waldport, Oregon
I will put it side by side to my cousins new MBP and my sisters MBA.

Would appreciate it if you looked at some word processing type on them--if you had to stare at the screen for hours on end, does there seem to be a difference, and does the extra $500 for the MBA seem justified?

Thanks!

ageha

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Yeah, the new MB looks pretty dull compared to the Air and the MBP. Anyway even the new MBP looks not very vivid compared to dual lamp or RGB LED notebooks from other makers.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
im really worried about the new macbook's screen. i know its a big improvement compared to the old one but im just not that happy with it but i guess we cant have everything...MBA is for portability but not as powerful...MBP is too big/not portable and great screen.

i am comparing it to my 20" imac, which is known to not have the best screen, but the colors on the MB are killing me. so washed out and im worried this will affect my photography. most of my photography will be done on my iMac, but when i'm away it would be ice to work on my graphics and photos.

what do you guys think? will i be okay?
i just need some assurance i made the right choice...im really trying to love the MB, except the spacebar clicks REALLY loudly/lose (unlike my sister's MBA and my wired aluminum keyboard) and the washed out colors.

its strange too because the brighter i make the screen the more washed out it looks!

anybody have any advice on what to do?
thanks

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
im really worried about the new macbook's screen. i know its a big improvement compared to the old one but im just not that happy with it but i guess we cant have everything...MBA is for portability but not as powerful...MBP is too big/not portable and great screen.

i am comparing it to my 20" imac, which is known to not have the best screen, but the colors on the MB are killing me. so washed out and im worried this will affect my photography. most of my photography will be done on my iMac, but when i'm away it would be ice to work on my graphics and photos.

what do you guys think? will i be okay?
i just need some assurance i made the right choice...im really trying to love the MB, except the spacebar clicks REALLY loudly/lose (unlike my sister's MBA and my wired aluminum keyboard) and the washed out colors.

its strange too because the brighter i make the screen the more washed out it looks!

anybody have any advice on what to do?
thanks

Calibrate. Either do it yourself or search for ready color profiles for your MB model around the Net.

Clayne

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
are there any calibrations for the new models yet? I just set it to 2.2 gamma so far.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
An email I sent to apple ... the more demand the better the chance.
feel free to copy and paste to sjobs@apple.com

Dear Sir,
I am one of the many Apple users who is looking for a small version of
the MBP. And while your latest macbook releases are a great step forward
in design and options, many of us still feel that there is too larger gap
separating the the 3 current laptop models (MB, MBP, MBA).

While many of us are excited with the new MB range, we would still like
to see an extra option configuration made available for it. I am one of
the many who would like the option of being able to purchase a higher
quality 13" screen if required that is more in line with the MBP quality
while shopping for a laptop from the apple store.

I am submitting this request in the hopes of it coming into reality and feel
this option would be more feasible for Apple to offer. As it wouldn't effect
the case etc.

Please conceder this as an option as many of us, are looking for a small
quality macbook.

Cheers & good health

Name ___________________

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Do you really find the MBP to not be portable? It's only a little bigger and heavier than the macbook. I guess it depends on how often you take it with you and what else you carry.

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London
Do you really find the MBP to not be portable? It's only a little bigger and heavier than the macbook. I guess it depends on how often you take it with you and what else you carry.

Yep, my Silverbook Pro weighs like an elephant after a short while on the shoulder. The Glassbook Pro is heavier still.

I noticed immediately the difference in screens MB vs MBP when I visited the store, the Macbook seems quite pale and indistinct. I expect MBA will look the same in November.

ageha

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Calibrating will not improve the subset of colors the screen can produce. You will only shift and narrow the color space.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I bit the bullet and bought the GlassBook, i haven't actually opened it but hopefully the screen can be mitigated by calibration cos no other Apple laptop works for me. Pro is too big and Air is too underpowered.

Last gen macbook is plastic/sharp/finger print magnet and last gen pro has a ticking time bomb of a GPU so...

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Gizmodo is retarded. My MacBook is fine.

Looking at the pics on their website there is an obvious difference with the models they have but seriously, mine looks nowhere near that bad. Even looking at the MB and MBP side on at the Apple Store, it's not that noticeable.

I'm seriously fine with my Macbook. It's not perfect but all in all, I'm really satisfied.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Yep, my Silverbook Pro weighs like an elephant after a short while on the shoulder. The Glassbook Pro is heavier still.

I noticed immediately the difference in screens MB vs MBP when I visited the store, the Macbook seems quite pale and indistinct. I expect MBA will look the same in November.

Ok, but have you tried carrying a regular macbook to test the difference? I wouldn't think it would be dramatically different.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Ok, but have you tried carrying a regular macbook to test the difference? I wouldn't think it would be dramatically different.

I don't know if it's psychological but after carrying around my old blackbook, the new "glassbook" seems noticeably lighter. :-s

Reason I got rid of the Macbook Pro and went to Macbooks in the first place was portability.

Then again, some people cart around hulking machines and don't complain. Maybe I have sensitive (weak!) shoulders. :)

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
the older macbooks where pretty bad but the newer glossbook aren't that bad; it is tolerable for two people but pretty annoying with three.

1appleAday

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
but i guess we cant have everything...MBA is for portability but not as powerful...MBP is too big/not portable and great screen.

couldn't agree more. i know they have to differentiate them somehow, but it shouldn't be the screen.

sometimes i wonder what kind of laptop does Steve use...;)

rd261

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Actually I have a last gen blackbook and my friend have one of the new ones, and both machines have pretty much the same viewing angle, just that his is a bit brighter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.