Is the watch anything other than a fashion statement?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by unclejamaal, Apr 11, 2015.

1. unclejamaal macrumors 6502

i know I'll get flamed for this from Apple fanboys. I have an iPad, iPhone, MacBook so I'm as much of a fanboy as most people on here. But I still don't see the point of the Apple watch.

So it has health apps. Serious health freaks and runners like me will use a dedicated watch such as Garmin with a heart rate belt which would be much cheaper than the Apple watch.

So you can see who's calling or texting you without taking phone out of pocket and you'll see appointments tasks etc on the watch as well. Personally I'm thinking big deal. This is another way for us all to fall slave to yet another device , as if walking around browsing on the phone looking like zombies is not enough lol.

Who's with me or against me on this one lol

2. leenak macrumors 68020

Now I'm not a runner, my knees weren't too keen during my brief flirt with it but if you say "much cheaper", you mean the Garmin 620 which is $400? or the Polar V800 which is $520? or perhaps the Suunto Ambit3 Peak which is $500?

Now I'll say I'm interested in the health features, I do a lot of walking and hiking. I also have a sedentary job. I like the fact that everything is aggregated in one place. Those that are casual runners could go with an inexpensive garmin because they obviously exist but I like the idea of the potential of the watch features. My only concern right now is how to charge it during my hiking/camping trips which I haven't quite figured out but I know there are ways to do it.

3. Stupotpot macrumors 6502

Stupotpot

Having had the original Kickstarter Pebble and Pebble Steel, I find a smart watch a hugely convenient addition to my phone. I agree however, it's not for everyone. I find it frustrating when wearing an analogue watch having to fish my phone out of my pocket! The health features are just an added bonus!

One thing I hope, I find the Pebble very unreliable. I often have to unpair/repair it as sometimes it just stops delivering notifications. Fingers crossed :apple:Watch does it better!

4. psylence2k macrumors 6502

I definitely dont look at it as a fashion statement. Aesthetically it doesn't even look that great when compared to real watches.

If I get one it's because of the utility it provides as I would imagine most people would.

5. Gooberton macrumors 65816

It was pointed out be a few reviews this will RELIEVE some of the " being a slave to your phone " and walking around like zombies , you can see notifications you choose quick and easy without always being tethered eyes to phone

----------

I have a 50 dollar new Trent external battery that does 4 full iPhone charges anywhere

6. nathanjbrown macrumors regular

I think it depends on which model you buy. Sport is a smart watch (and an appropriately priced one at that). Watch is a fashion statement. Edition is a class statement.

I ordered one (SS Black) for fashion and function.

My wife - an avid marathon runner - won't even give the Watch a second glance. It fails as a true fitness device. She'll stick with her Garmin 620 + Vivosmart. Not because they're less expensive (they're not), but because they're more specialized for her primary use case: fitness.

7. mlblacy macrumors 6502

Stopped reading.

8. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

You have an iPad, iPhone and MacBook so you obviously understand that different devices are more well suited for functions than others. Any watch is not only jewelry, it is about glanceable information. And considering the iPhone has always been bad at this -- seriously, the only thing you can keep on the lock screen is the time and a picture? -- I'd say there is a solid use-case for iPhone users to want more in this dept.

As for fitness. I don't believe this is a good replacement for hard core fitness fans. But the function of the Watch will be perfect those who want to wear a watch and also care about their fitness. Otherwise, they'd have to wear multiple fitness devices.

9. unclejamaal thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol. Good contribution

----------

Fair enough I'm sure a lot will find a use for the watch. I remain to be convinced.

10. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

It was a good contribution to point out hypocrisy of how biased you are saving them the time of reading the rest of what you posted....

11. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I can't wait for some of the watch noise to die down (Apple please announce WWDC dates next week!). Right now any thought that pops into someone's head become a new thread on this forum. Kind of overwhelming. I wish there was a sticky thread where people can post their random thoughts and maybe keep the forum cleaner.

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Not so much a fashion statement as much as a status symbol. In general, people often love to display how much money they have--or want you to think they have. I foresee many a loan taken out to buy the high end versions--and they will make sure you know they have one.

I'm not planning to buy an Apple Watch, but if I do I'm buying a cheap version and then having it gold plated. :D

13. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

You beat me to it. Plus there's already a more entertaining version of this thread.

14. Cindori, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

I was sceptical at first but some things won me over.

I only do weight lifting, not much running, so I didn't see the point of the heart rate sensor.
    However after doing some research I found that monitoring your heart rate is a great way of ensuring you got the right pace on your workout. Also, considering the sensors in the watch I think it's just a matter of time before 3rd party apps comes out that can register anything from presses to pushups. Great potential there.

The Watch apparently works as a music device without being connected to the phone. This is great for studying etc. where I prefer to leave my phone behind. It is also great for workouts if you combine with bluetooth earphones.

And the fashion statement shouldn't be underestimated. I think many people are ready to pay a couple hundred $ for a analogue watch with 0 extra features. The Apple Watch will be a great conversation piece for at least a year, which is what many people look for with watches.

Also, the watch will develop over time. Might as well get in on the wave now and learn to use one. It won't take long for it to become thinner than the iPhone 6. And if the software improve at the same rate as the regular iOS, it will be really advanced within a year or two.