Is the Watch going to charge if wool cloth in between?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AppleJuiceBox, Apr 25, 2015.

1. AppleJuiceBox macrumors member

I know this may seem as a weird question, but would the watch be able to charge if a fairly thin piece of wool cloth or silicon is in between the magnetic charger and the watch?

Reason why I want to know is because I have this jewelry drawer in my dresser and I would like to make it my apple watch drawer were I neatly would place my watch before going to bet and have all my stars.

In this set up, I don't want the charger to be showing, so I want to build a platform with a hole in it that would fit the magnetic charger. I would then place a piece of wool cloth (or silicon preferably) to cover the whole set up so that I would simply have to place my watch in the drawer to charge my watch before going to bed.

So does anyone know if this would work with a wool cloth? Or maybe even with a piece of silicon (although silicon is probably not an electricity conducter so this probably won't work)??

Any feedback would be greatly be appreciated

Thanks

2. Somnospeed macrumors member

Just don't. Placing any flammable substance in between a battery and a charger is a bad idea. No matter what anyone here says, they cannot guarantee it will be safe.

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

Charging To charge Apple Watch, use only the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable and included power adapter (and, for Apple Watch Edition, the included Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Case with cable or the included Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable). You may also use third-party Lightning cables and 5W power adapters featuring an MFi logo. It’s important to keep Apple Watch, the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable, and the power adapter in a well-ventilated area when charging. When charging Apple Watch Edition in the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Case, keep the case open. Using a damaged Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable or Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Case, or charging when moisture is present, can cause fire, electric shock, injury, or damage to Apple Watch or other property. Be sure Apple Watch and the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable or Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Case are dry before charging. When you use the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable or Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Case to charge Apple Watch, make sure that the USB plug is fully inserted into the adapter before you plug the adapter into a power outlet. Avoid charging Apple Watch in direct sunlight. Don’t wear Apple Watch while it is charging.

4. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

Agree - My watch got really warm when charging yesterday - I'd be careful...

5. AppleJuiceBox thread starter macrumors member

Aww :( then what if I use a silicon shear? That fire proof no?

6. whatos macrumors 6502a

I'm on my third charge and it gets very warm. That's how you know it's genuine Apple. Only my iP6_Plus doesn't get very warm when charging. My MBA, MBPR, they all get very warm to hot. It's normal.