Is the watch interchangeable with all the straps

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ditzy, Sep 10, 2014.

1. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Sorry if the has already been answered somewhere else. If I wanted to get one of the cheaper models of :apple: watch, but wanted one of the straps from a more expensive model. Is that possible?

2. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Yes I believe it's universal except for you'll need to match the size of the watch.

3. Andy-V macrumors 6502

They should all fit, but it seems likely that not all straps will match every finish.

4. ditzy thread starter macrumors 68000

ditzy

I thought that would be the case just wanted to make sure. I would hate to buy the sport version only to find I could only use the, in my opinion, ugly sport straps.

5. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Glad to hear they're interchangeable. I want the sport watch, but I would like to also get a metal band, so that I can have a sports band and a "fancier" band.

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Some of the articles today hinted that some straps would be exclusive to a certain model. e.g.: not available for separate purchase. Maybe the metal link and braid straps? I'm sure they don't want you buying a cheaper Sport model and adding a nicer strap individually. You'll have to buy the more expensive model and then buy the sport strap.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

They really arent likely to care...

8. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

So...up until this moment I had been of the opinion that all straps would work with all watches. But, I realized that some of the straps appear to have materials that are matched to specific watch finishes. You can use any one you want, but it may not exactly match the finish. So, I may have been wrong on them all being available for all watches.

That said, the 3rd party market is likely to fill any gaps that Apple leaves. Probably nothing to worry about.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

....and I bet 3ed party will be a bonanza in a few months.

10. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I don't think you know what you are talking about. Try reading a marketing book. ;)

11. Nermal, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I was under the impression that the two watch sizes only changed the height and therefore the pins would be the same width, however it seems that you're right; in this picture you can see "42MM" [nitpick: it should be "mm"] on the blue band (and "M/L" on the other end, which I'm guessing is medium/large).

[​IMG]

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

13. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing they will do each band in each size if that is the case. I cant see them only doing a band for one of the sizes.

14. mtmac macrumors regular

Just like iPhone cases, you will find far more, better, and cheaper options from 3rd parties. It will probably make the most sense to buy a watch with a cheap band, and for the price of a single apple dress band, you likely could buy 3 or 4 other bands that are more unique and personalized. On the high end, there will be designers that sell upscale bands for far more than Apple does.

I would also think that the stores won't carry all of the faces and bands and a lot of them will be sold directly from Apple. I could see them doing the custom printing on them like they did for iPods that were shipped from Apple. Like an iPod, this is more of a personal item and it will be promoted as a gift.

15. swedefish macrumors 6502

It seems to me that the "modern buckle" or whatever they call the classic leather strap with the metal magnet lock is only available for the 38mm model, and, the other two leather straps only for the larger model.

I think the large stainless steel model will be the best bet in terms of strap options

16. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

You forget this is apple, they certainly will care. ;)