Is the White Macbook discontinued or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Caris, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

I've done a quick search but couldn't find anything on this matter.

Does the original white Macbbok thats on sale now (2.1ghz) have a decent life left or not? I'm a little confused, are Apple just selling off old stock or are they keeping it in the product line for a while?

I'm thinking of picking one up over the next few days as i have had 3 brick Macbooks all with defects. But at the same time i don't want to buy one if there not gonna be available in a months time.

Caris.

2. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Looks like they are still selling them on the apple store - I would imagine it is to clear old stock but I would have thought that would have happened by now.

3. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I think they're still keeping it in.

As Steve Jobs said in the October notebook keynote, the white MacBook is the best-selling Mac ever. So I guess they have to think twice before they let that one die.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Does it really matter?

They will still support it, even if they stop selling it, and it will still work the same if it does get replaced by a new model.

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

It's not discontinued. I imagine that they want to keep the price point of the WhiteBook; otherwise, they'd go from the Mac Mini ($600/$800us) to the iMac ($1200us) with no price in between.

6. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

The whitebook is still on the Apple store Canada, 24 hour delivery, so its not been discontinued......

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I bet they will keep some around for Apple Care reasons. Im sure eventually they will be discontinued but not for a little while.

8. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I don't think they're clearing out old stock. It was updated with a superdrive.

Unless, they opened up all the 2.1 MacBooks and replaced the combo drive with superdrive and sold that, then yeah they are.

9. AeroStud1026 macrumors member

AeroStud1026

They will keep the white MB on because of 2 things....

1. Apple needs a $999 Model in the MB line up

2. As Steve Jobs mentioned its the best selling MB yet.

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It's still available, but will eventually go away. Most important, it will not benefit from OpenCL if you plan to move to Snow Leopard.

11. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Steve stated pretty explicitly at the Notebook Event that the White MacBook was the best selling Mac of all time and that they keep "right on selling them for a long time."

I don't think the whitebook is going anywhere anytime soon. That is an important price point that Apple needs to maintain. They are not going to have their entry-level notebook be at a $1300 price. WhiteBooks are not still around to clear out stock or for AppleCare, they are still being sold because they make a great margin and sell like hotcakes.

12. svndmvn Guest

I'm not sure if they sell a lot of whities anymore. You can hardly see them on the website, if someone has any knowledge of computers he can easily understand the base aluminum one is a better value, if you have a couple extra hundred dollars, of course.
    Steve Jobs probably wanted to make the whole firewire thing less of an issue, and keep a high pricepoint for the pricier (to make) aluminum macbooks, this should change in a cycle time, or two. They will clear the stock selling the white ones as refurbs at $700, why not?