Is the Whitebook now the best deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by blinkie, Mar 3, 2009.

1. blinkie macrumors regular

I've been wanting/needing a replacement for my very old G4 Digital Audio for a while now. I'd thought that the new top range Mini was going to be it but the price the price. I do use my computer a lot and for a lot of things, Final Cut (I wait over night for rendering, just like the good old days), Photoshop, sound editing ect. I know that the Whitebook isn't the fastest around but it'll be a big step up for me. Do you guys see anything bad about it that I'm missing? I know the screens aren't meant to be the best but I'd be using an external at work.

Thanks.

2. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Well do you need a laptop or a desktop? The new Mini is 599, even if you configure with 2GB of ram from apple it's 649 for 2.0ghz 120gb hd and 2gb ram. The same whitebook specs are 999 still.

If you are going purely desktop, you could get a mini for 599, buy your own ram for 60$ and upgrade to 4gb of ram, buy a 7200rpm 500gb drive for 130$ and have for 800$ a 2.0ghz 4gb ram and 500gb drive. If you want you could upgrade the cpu for 150$ too.. 2.26ghz.

Take a look at this for more info on ram and HD impact on photoshop, for comparing increasing ram and HD speed on performance.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=654277

Though you might get the most bang for your buck with a refurbished 20 inch imac at 2.66ghz 2gb ram 320gb hd for 999 if you're going desktop

3. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Fibrizo that's a really useful thread, I've got some thinking to do. This Whitebook does look like a good buy for the price. I wonder if it would last the eight years like my G4 has :rolleyes: ?

4. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

5. priller macrumors regular

6. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I don't think we'll ever get the long use out of any of these new systems like we did the PM G4s. They were (and are) special machines.

7. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

That is a pity isn't it? Mine still trudges along never giving up, never SHUTTING DOWN! (that's been worrying me). The thought of retiring it is saddening me now that I've just about decided on the whitebook. Tomorrow tomorrow. :(;)

8. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

If you'll be using an external the whitebook definitely is the best deal. I'd even recommend snagging a refurbished unit as other than the box it's hard to tell the difference with a new one.

9. agurlnamedgoo macrumors member

No, cracks don't STOP the computer from working. But they certainly do allow for dust and/or particles to get into the machine... but that's cool, if you like that sorta thing.

10. agurlnamedgoo macrumors member

11. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I feel the refurbished Unibody MacBook 2.0 GHz at $1,100 and the iMac 2.66GHz at $1,000 are the best values Apple currently is offering.

12. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

The WhiteBook is certainly a good deal compared to the Mac mini in the rip-off UK :rolleyes:
    If you can stand the cracktastic-plastic build it's the best current value on a Mac full stop.

Only thing the Mac mini has going for it is:
    1. Option to spend more money on the 2.26GHz CPU which also gets you Intel VT-x which the 2GHz is crippled without - may be an issue if you like using Virtual Machines (especially if booting under Windows).
    2. Ability to drive 2 external displays. Of course you can have 2 displays in total with the WhiteBook but not 2 external ones without buying extra video hardware.

13. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

The crack attacks are a worry but am I correct in thinking that if I was to fall victim Applecare would save me?

14. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

you guys over do the cracking issue, i've had mine for about 8 months now no cracks, i do take care of mine though.

15. taru91 macrumors regular

taru91

Mine is almost a year old, and it's starting to show a small crack, I hope apple authorized resellers here in Mexico will repair it for free :S

16. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

And it makes using the computer unpleasant to use...

17. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You cannot upgrade the CPU. It is soldered to the logic board.

http://terragalaxia.com/mini/IMG_2183.jpg

18. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Attached Files:

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- it's a known defect, and they'll replace the cracked palm rest for you.

That said, I've had a Black MacBook for over a year now- no cracks. I must be doing something wrong. :rolleyes: And yes, it travels with me every day and gets used heavily. Still looks great. I wouldn't worry too much about the cracking issue.

20. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Have you considered buying a refurb older model 2.2 ghz whitebook? It's faster than any whitebook available now. (current model is 2.0ghz)

This is the one I have, and while it has a couple of cracks, it's still a lovely machine. I use it for photochop, imovie, FCE etc. (with 4GB ram)

My workplace has bought 3 of the 2ghz whitebooks (after Apple stopped selling the 2.2ghz, but before the recent graphics upgrade), and I've noticed they seem not quite as smooth or fast as mine. (with the same RAM as mine)

No comment on the new 2ghz whitebook with upgraded graphics. Just a reccomendation for the older 2.2ghz whitebook if you can get it cheap and don't mind the graphics card.

21. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

The 9400M will make the 2.0 faster when Snow Leopard and OpenCL arrive.

22. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

I think it is, looks nice

I would say its fine for the basic computer user

browsing, word processing, music ect

with some big apps.

Still a nice laptop!

23. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

I can get an educational discount and it looks like tomorrow is the day! Much as I like the idea of the mini upped to it's max I think the portability of the macbook swings it for me. And with Applecare at £49 I can't really argue.