Is the WiFi better on the iPhone 4 than on the 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aucun Express, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Aucun Express macrumors regular

Sorry if that has been raised already.

I own an iPad for a month now. And I almost never had to enter my WiFi password again. I think I had to enter it maybe 5 times in a month. It's really rare and I use it a lot.

On the other hand, I own an iPhone 3G and the WiFi is just lame! At home, I use an AirPort Extreme, and at some other places other WiFi routers, but it's still the same. A few times per day I have to manually enter my WiFi password. And sometimes I enter my WiFi password and it says that it is wrong, then I enter it again and it works.
    So, basically, the WiFi on the iPhone 3G just SUCKS! No other word.

It was the only major flaw in my beloved iPhone 3G (you know, the phone who didn't dropped calls and had a great proximity sensor...).

My question is: is the WiFi better with the iPhone 4?

2. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

yes absolutely. I'm getting much better range and speed from my iphone 4 wifi compared to 2g and 3gs

3. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

put it this way, I would get better through put on ATT 3g than I would on wifi with my 3gs.
    I use the FCC test as a comparison
    3Gs 1.9 Mbps to 3bps
    I4 15 Mbps to 19Mbps
    same router same service

4. LAS22 macrumors regular

LAS22

never had an issue with my 3gs as far as needing to enter the password multiple time.

iP4 does have 802.11n (operates only on 2.4GHz frequency), which also gets me better range from where I usually am when I was on the 3gs.

5. Aucun Express thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, my question is more focused on the "enter your password again" than on the WiFi speed itself. I don't complain about the WiFi speed on my iPhone 3G, even though it's not N. What is just painful is to have to enter the password almost every day and half the time having to enter it multiple times before it's working.

6. tnisatard macrumors 6502

^ i never had that problem with my 3G

however my friend coming from a 3G saying he always got 2 bars of wifi at home, and with the iPhone 4 he gets full strength

7. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I ran into a problem with my 3Gs frequently regarding password.
    I restricted the number of DHCPs I made available. so at times there were conflicts as the iphone didn't seem to want to renew the addy.
    When the airport extreme was introduced, all wireless devices were put on one network where it was limited to authorized mac addresses only and with 100 dynamic addresses. the problems then were few and far between.

8. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

This is one of the reasons I love my AirPort Extreme. With the dual band/frequency setup, I have 'n' restricted to the 5.4ghz range and b/g left on 2.4ghz. My iPhone 4 is than set to the 'g' network, leaving my iMac to soak up the juicy 'n' all alone at the appropriate (non gimped) frequency.

9. Benito macrumors 6502a

Benito

I've not had that problem with my iPhone 3G. I don't recall the last time I've had to enter my password for my wifi on it.

10. Henry Ford macrumors member

Are you sure that's not a router issue? I've never had that problem with my 3GS. I haven't had to reenter my password at home or work since I initially entered it a year ago.

I haven't had to reenter a password on my iPhone 4 yet, but I've only had it since the 29th. That's really not enough time to speak intelligently about this particular issue.