Is the "wifi will improve location accuracy" popup removed?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by johannnn, Jun 29, 2014.

1. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

When wifi is disabled, iOS will always complain and give popups about Location Accuracy. Is this terrible design choise still present in iOS8?
    People disable wifi when there is no wifi available, thus it makes no sense at all to annoy the user to promise better location awareness if enabling wifi.

2. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Its not removed and disabling wifi to save on battery really doesn't do much at all.

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Dang, that pop up is really the only thing that drives me crazy with iOS 7 (first world problem, I know). Where I work, wifi can be spotty and weak compared to cellular, so it would be better to turn it off temporarily.

4. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

I am hopeful that they will add an option to suppress that in the future.

5. pmz macrumors 68000

No

/thread

6. nheilweil macrumors 6502a

nheilweil

Wait -- why is everyone saying the notification of still there? On iOS 8 Beta 2 on my 5S, I no longer get that annoying popup and I can't remember if I ever saw it in Beta 1.

Just confirmed with WiFi off, none of my map apps prompt that anymore.

7. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

Not really everyone. One person said it wasn't removed, another person said it wasn't present. Now you've chimed in it's 2-1 to you.

8. Reason077, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014

Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

Having WiFi on improves location accuracy even when there is no WiFi connection available.

Just being able to see any WiFi hotspots enables the iPhone to get much faster, better location info when indoors. You don't have to actually be using WiFi, just have it switched on. There are not many indoor locations in the world where your iPhone will not be able to see some kind of WiFi access point!

That said, I agree that the popping up a dialog sucks and is a poor design choice. Apple should come up with some other sort of visual indicator to show that location accuracy may be impaired.

9. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Same thing with Airplane mode and the pop-up that tells you to disable it to access cellular data.

It's quite annoying when I'm underground on the train and every time I switch to Spotify I have to dismiss that stupid alert.

10. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

I'm on beta 2, the pop-up is no longer appearing for me (long awaited).