Is the windows version of the trackpad's driver poorly implemented?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hajime, Nov 8, 2010.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I am using a MBP 17" (2010 model). The trackpad functions very well under Mac OS/X. However, under Windows Vista 64-bit, it does not behave as if it were under Mac OS. For example, even I did not click on the trackpad, it did it by itself. Is it a driver problem or setting problem? I know that under bootcamp, we can change the trackpad settings. If it is the latter case, could anybody please let me know the configurations/settings that allow the trackpad to behave exactly the same it does under Mac OS/X? Thanks.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

the multi touch trackpad is crippled on windows. I wish they would create a utility for Windows that allows gestures and inertia scrolling.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The drivers for the trackpad in windows are awful The tap feature doesn't work right, and neither does the scrolling. I would recommend deselecting tap to click, as that will be incredibly annoying if you don't. Scrolling you really can't do much about.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the comments. Apple may not do anything to improve the driver. Looks like it is time to buy a mobile external mouse.

6. SidBala macrumors 6502a

+1. Very much unApple. Maybe they are doing this intentionally?

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Even their magic trackpad works only under Mac OS X. There is no mention about Windows. Apple should make better driver as Bootcamp is a selling poiint.

http://www.apple.com/magictrackpad/

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I use the magic trackpad on Windows. The functionality is a bit limited (one and two-figure gestures only).

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Not sure if you actually used a PC, but Apple's drivers are no worst than PC trackpads.

However I would write to apple.com/feedback

10. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the info. Did you install some kind of driver to use the magic trackpad? Anybody tried the MBP's trackpad with the magic trackpad driver? Is the situation better?

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah u have to download the driver for it, then some new settings show up on BootCamp Control Panel for the trackpad. What sucks is that, it doesn't have scroll speed or pointer speed settings on there. It shares them with the mouse.

12. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

The drivers are included in a Boot Camp update so you should be fine on a Mac.

However, I'm using the Magic Trackpad on a generic PC running Windows XP so I extracted the 32-bit magic trackpad driver from the boot camp driver update and installed it on 32-bit Windows XP. The instructions are here:
    http://www.labnol.org/software/apple-magic-trackpad-with-windows/14158/

If you are using Windows 7, I hear "Trackpad++" enables all the functionality of the Magic Trackpad and makes trackpads work well in Windows.

13. meverik macrumors newbie

There is a free tool which downloads extracts and installs Apples original Windows driver for the Magic Trackpad on any PC.

http://www.trackpadcontrol.com

This site also explains what gestures are supported under Windows and offers a Control Panel for the Magic Trackpad which is apparently missing on non-Mac computers.