Is the write speed of the SSD important?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doty, Dec 31, 2012.

1. doty macrumors newbie

I will be working with adobe softwares (lightroom, photoshop and so on) Will it be beneficial for me to spurge extra cash for models like Samsung 840 or Crucial M4 will do the job since im on SATA 2?

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Write speed is the most important. Why do you think it designates what is high quality and low quality SSD in same manufacturers catalog? ie. Samsung 840 vs. 840 Pro.

3. doty thread starter macrumors newbie

But my question is do i need a high write speed ssd for my application, if not i can save some penny and get something decent for my usage.

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

With a SATA-II controller, the Crucial m4 should be fine. No need to shell out the extras buck for the Samsung 840 Pro ... That is, of course, unless you think you might be upgrading your system in the next year. If so, it might be more prudent to get the Samsung, as any new system you will get will have a SATA-III controller.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The two drives you mentioned are fairly close together in speed tests anyway, and that difference will be made even more negligible by your SATA II limitations. Get whatever is cheapest.

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Read and writes that matter for a boot device are well within SATA2 spec. Sequential r/w should not be a complete deciding factor. Unless cash is the issue always buy the newer tech. Especially with SSD's.

7. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

From his post, OP does seem to be budget conscious. I honestly doubt in a blind test anybody could tell the difference between the two drives listed in a SATA II Macbook.

IMO these "which SSD is best" threads get a little too fixated on incremental differences in synthetic speed tests. I have always hoped Arstechnica or Anandtech would setup a blind test with say the top ten selling SSDs and see if anybody can tell the difference just using the machines.

9. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I agree. But something has to differentiate other than a "gut" test. I am not a fan of opinionated science either but maybe a scale of when you'll actually perceive a change in performance could be hacked together. Bad for sales though as it may take generations of CPU's and SSD's before observable changes are registered.

10. robvas macrumors 68020

A long time back Anandtech had a section titled 'A note about real-world performance'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4341/ocz-vertex-3-max-iops-patriot-wildfire-ssds-reviewed/3

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Good read. Thanks

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The OP didn't say anything about the 840 Pro.

Between the two drives, I'd go for the Samsung. It has higher 4k random read and write, which should have a more noticeable effect on the user experience than burst speeds. The 840 is cheaper than the M4 anyway.