Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
My question is simply this is there a way I can set a partition on my 200 GB external that I could install programs on without having to boot up another version of OSX (think of it as a second hard drive for my iBook only as an external)? If this is possible how do I go about doing this? I mostly want to have a second drive that I could install video games and some pro apps on (my internal only has a limited amount of drive space). I really want to partition the drive so I could have an area that is fat 32 (so I can transfer files and back up files on my windows PC).

Also if I were to set a partition in this way would it be possible to know if I was saving something on the fat 32 side or the OSX formated side (please remember I DON'T want a partition that would enable me to boot up OSX, I just want an OSX formated partition)?

FYI my external is fire wire based on has the ability to boot up OSX even though this is NOT what I want to do.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
sk1985 said:
My question is simply this is there a way I can set a partition on my 200 GB external that I could install programs on without having to boot up another version of OSX (think of it as a second hard drive for my iBook only as an external)? If this is possible how do I go about doing this? I mostly want to have a second drive that I could install video games and some pro apps on (my internal only has a limited amount of drive space). I really want to partition the drive so I could have an area that is fat 32 (so I can transfer files and back up files on my windows PC).

Also if I were to set a partition in this way would it be possible to know if I was saving something on the fat 32 side or the OSX formated side (please remember I DON'T want a partition that would enable me to boot up OSX, I just want an OSX formated partition)?

FYI my external is fire wire based on has the ability to boot up OSX even though this is NOT what I want to do.

You can easily accomplish this using the disk utility. Connect your drive, run the disk utility (in your Applications>Utilities folder) The external should show up in the left pane. Select the drive, click the partition tab, set the 2 partitions, and then Erase (format) one partition to Mac OS Extended Journaled and the other to FAT32. You can name each partition to something that makes it obvious which format it's in so you know which one you're saving to.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
blodwyn said:
You can easily accomplish this using the disk utility. Connect your drive, run the disk utility (in your Applications>Utilities folder) The external should show up in the left pane. Select the drive, click the partition tab, set the 2 partitions, and then Erase (format) one partition to Mac OS Extended Journaled and the other to FAT32. You can name each partition to something that makes it obvious which format it's in so you know which one you're saving to.
Thank you kindly. I'll just have to back up some files on my sister's PC and I'll do exactly what you told me to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.