is their any hope for my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mjz147, May 4, 2010.

1. mjz147 macrumors regular

I just bought an iPhone 3G from someone using craigslist. I met with the guy and he showed it to me I used it for about 3 minutes to make sure it was running 3.1 and to make sure it worked, and everything looked fine.

the guy didnt put in the ad why he was selling it, but i texted him asking if their was anything wrong with it, any scuffs/scratches or anything and he said no it works fine. (I even have the text messages saved from him)

Any way I am heading home from a half hour car ride and let it charge at my house. i didnt drop it or anything,

(he was on ATT, by the way, and it wasn't JBroken)

The problem is the screen doesn't respond to touch about 20% i am using it, and the only way to fix it is by turning it off (not completely) just pushing the power button once and on. The phone does not have any scrathes or anything on the screen. I will push internet for example and nothing will happen, i will make a gesture to go to the next screen, nothing will happen, then I have to turn it off and on, and it will work.

Is their a way to get this repaired or anything, or should I make the guy give me a refund.
    I have his phone number, address, and the guy took a picture of himself, and its still saved on the phone.

My first thought was that he stole it, but when I plugged it in to the computer it had all of his information on the screen, like you would if you first register it, and it had his name and number, (but i am sure you can change all that information as long as you restore it.)

It did not come with a box, or charger, just the phone.

Is their any way to prove if he stole it by contacting ATT or apple and giving them the serial number or imei number.

The guy was a little hoodrat, so I doubt he is going to admit that anything was his fault or that he knew it wasn't working, he is gonna claim it worked fine for him.

And finally I am using it as an iPod touch and was gonna eventually use it as a phone in the next month or two once I get a sim card not that it matters, what do you guys think?

2. plusonechoi macrumors member

i really dont think you're going to be able to get a refund from a craigslist transaction. probably your best bet is to try replacing the screen or repairing it.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

why in the world would you buy anything from "a little hoodrat"?