is ther e a way to get emailed a computers ip address ehrn it changes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Anarchy99, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

i regularly remote desktop my parents mac to fix there problems i was wondering is there a way to have there computer automatically email me with the new ip address when it changes

thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The IP generally only changes when rebooting the computer and/or cable modem (or whatever they have). It would likely be easiest to create a script to grab the IP and show it to your parents so they can tell you it or have a script send you an email. It should be pretty easy for your parents to get the IP though, it's just two clicks away: System Preferences > Network.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

What would be even easier is to use a dynamic dns service like dyndns. It is free and you get a url to connect to that always works. Essentially, you install their program on your computer and it automatically updates the ip address with their servers so you can always connect.

4. godspeed macrumors member

100% agreed Yippy, stay away from dynip though, your account goes offline after 30 days. I prefer www.no-ip.com. Sign up, download the software add a host and then you can vnc into your folks computer no matter what the ip address is....

5. Anarchy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

cool sounds even better il look into it.