Is there a 1 TB Hybrid drive around?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbrown, Oct 28, 2012.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I've used the Seagate Momentus XT...but it only seems to go up to 750 GB.

ANything bigger around?

cheers

:)

2. cube macrumors G5

I am waiting for the new Toshiba 1TB hybrid to appear in stores.

Note that it is only 5400 RPM.

3. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Will that be noticeably slower than the 7200 rpm speed of the Momentus?

4. cube macrumors G5

I saw an article where it said it was slower than the XT, even if it also caches writes.

5. cube macrumors G5

The Toshiba is taking so long to be actually sold, that I just bought a Travelstar 7K1000.

First impression, it seems quite an improvement over the horrible 5400RPM 1TB I was using.

I doubt I will get a 5400RPM hybrid, giving my experience with a non-hybrid was so bad.

6. Ploki macrumors 68000

Scorpio Blue really outperforms a lot of 7k2 drives, considering the power and noise ratings its in my opinion one of the best drives to have around. 1TB WD Blue actually outperforms 500GB Scorpio Black, while being more quiet and taking less power.

7. cube macrumors G5

There's no 1TB Black, you should compare the 1TB Blue against the 1TB 7K1000.

8. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

The new Seagate is out, no longer called the Momemtus XT, and it's 1TB but the HDD portion is only 5400 rpm, and they didn't up the NAND flash.

Pass.

____

9. Ploki macrumors 68000

I know the whole storage density thing.

still, Scorpio Blue is a very impressive performance/watt drive. 1TB 7k2 drives offer little performance advantage, especially considering noise.
    One defining factor is also reduced precision at 7k2 at such small sector sizes (with big storage density), thats actually why as storage density increases the gap between 7k2 and 5k4 narrows down. Eventually, they accuracy trade-off shows performance benefits in favour of 5k4 drives, and further you increase the storage density at certain point (purely due to physics) the performance starts to drop inevitably. We're not there yet, we probably have some headroom, but there are limits to how far rotating drives can go in terms of performance/storage/physical size.

nice reviews:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/notebook-hard-drive-review,3270-9.html

10. cube macrumors G5

It has about the same performance as the M8 I was using. I don't think so.

11. Ploki macrumors 68000

Overall, no. Regardless of opinion thats a measurable parameter.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-mobile-hdd-charts/-21-Performance-per-Watt,3004.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-mobile-hdd-charts/-23-Performance-per-Watt,3006.html

Scorpio Blue really is an extremely well performing drive, best of its category easily. Can't really say the same for Scorpio Black now that other vendors offer 1TB 7k2 drives, nor can I say that for that weird Scorpio Green.

12. cube macrumors G5

Given that I chose the M8 over the Scorpio because it has faster access, as opposed to sequential performance, I disagree with this.

A netbook CPU might have impressive performance per watt, but it is still useless for a real notebook.

13. Ploki macrumors 68000

Not really a valid comparison since Scorpio Blue has a very good performance, it's just that its power consumption is really impressive. I installed 750GB version in two laptops and as single they performe almost as good as two 320GB Scorpio Blacks in Raid0.(which cost the same as 750GB Scorpio Blue!)

Also, Scorpio Blue has a better Access Time as well.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/.../-07-Read-Access-Time-h2benchw-3.16,2985.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...-08-Write-Access-Time-h2benchw-3.16,2986.html

14. cube macrumors G5

Fair enough, the performance for small files was reversed in the comparison I found at the time.

15. Ploki macrumors 68000

Possibly. These tests are also flawed to a degree - All disks need to be fresh and out of the box to have completely legit results. So many factors...

On the other hand, Spinpoint 1TB and Hitach 5k1000 both cost 10$ less.

16. cube macrumors G5

Maybe it would be enough for someone with simple requirements, as I'm pretty sure the Scorpio would still suck for me.

The 7K1000 seems better than the M8, but it is only passable for me, as completely expected, as only a hybrid cuts it.

But I won't go for a hybrid that falls back the whole time to 5400RPM.

I would consider a 5400RPM hybrid only if it had at least 128GB of flash now.

And I would definitely reject something like a Fusion drive.

17. Ploki macrumors 68000

Yeah fusion is kinda stupid. If you have two separate volumes you might as well use them.

I'm scouting for a cheapest 1TB solution for external bus powered RAID0. Need something with low power usage and no noise.