Is there a 21" retina iMac on it's way?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by erasr, Feb 21, 2015.

1. erasr macrumors 6502

Hi, Im going to buy an iMac but don't fancy the large 27" 5K. Are there any plans to bring retina to the 21" line and if so when is that expected?

Second question, does anyone own a 21" and wish they'd gone for the 27"?

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It's mostly speculation at this point but I'd bet we'll see a 4K 21.5" by the end of the year.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple does not really discuss that sort of stuff so all we have is conjecture. ITs possible maybe even probable but we really don't know.

If it were me buying an iMac today, or in the near future - I'd opt for the 27" version because the larger display is so much more usable.

4. seroposi macrumors member

Extremely difficult to second guess when they'll launch a retina 21.5".

I bought a mid 2011 21.5" based on budget and size, alongside a 27" the latter appears massive but in kind of real terms is'nt that much bigger, if that makes sense.. Always had second thoughts about not buying the 27" and eventually succumbed and bought the retina 27". Could not be happier and the extra screen estate does have it's benefits.

5. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

At one point I had a 21" thinking that the 27" was too big. The 27" now seems perfect to me. Just remember that you don't have to have every app or window maximized full screen.

6. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

I wanted a 27" iMac at first but after looking at them in store they were just too big for where I was going to put it. Plus being my first iMac I wasn't sure I would take advantage of what it was really meant for. I ended up using a best buy movers coupon and getting a 21" model. If after a year I have regrets then I can always sell this one and get a better model.

If I used the computer for work then maybe a 27" retina would have been better.

7. scott0293 macrumors newbie

Will there be a 21" retina iMac?

Yesterday, I had my 27" iMac with the 5k retina display delivered.

The retina display is absolutely beautiful. The iMac itself is stunning too.

However, it's 27". My room isn't huge, and although it looks very nice, when I'm using it, I just feel the screen is way too big. The Magic Mouse is set to the fastest tracking speed, but it just feels like it has to travel miles from one end of the screen to the next. I like seeing all the screen together too. It just feels like what I'm working on is about 10 screens away from the Menu bar at the top.

I absolutely love it, but do you think Apple will be launching a 21" iMac with the retina/5K display? I just feel I'd be much happier using that size screen. Apple let you return computers if used too.

Thanks! :)

8. timsun28 macrumors newbie

21" retina iMac

First off all, i think one day all apple products will have a retina display, but at the moment i think the 27" retina imac is just for photographers and video editers. Those people need the big screen to work, and i think that is why they didn't add the retina display in the smaller iMac.
    But i think it will change in the future and i think they will keep a cheap version without retina and a more expensive version with retina display!

Hope you can understand my thought and hope you still enjoy your time with the new iMac!

Timsun

9. scott0293 macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I'm tempted to return it.

I studied photography, work in retail, but I am a photographer. I currently have a 15" MacBook Pro with retina display, but I thought I'd get a retina iMac for better ease and sell the MacBook.

Although stunning, the 27" just feels too big. I think I'll return it to Apple. I'd much rather have a 21" retina iMac.

If there was a 27" and 21" iMac available at the same time, I'd have bought the 21" one.

10. timsun28 macrumors newbie

And what about an mac mini with an 4k external display? The displays made by eizo are more color accurate than the iMacs i think. So as a photographer I think that will be the better sollution. If you want to use 2 screens you can also buy a smaller iMac and connect the smaller iMac to a second screen!

11. scott0293 macrumors newbie

Thank you, but by the time you've bought the seperate 4K display, the Mac mini, the keyboard & mouse... the iMac will work out cheaper. Plus it looks better... the iMac is just the iMac, no big cables everywhere except the power cord, and it looks beautiful!

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I question the Mac Mini's ability to drive a 4k display. Also the cost of buying that mini and the monitor as noted may make it more expensive.

At this point in time, if you want the 5k display, then your only option is the 27 model.

Once Broadwell comes out later this summer we'll see what apple does. Translation you may be better off keeping the 27" iMac then waiting 4 to 6 months on what apple may or may not do.

13. scott0293 macrumors newbie

Keeping it?

I could always return it, and wait.

My 15" MacBook Pro is good enough for now. Why I got the iMac is I'd prefer a desktop.

But, I'd be willing to return the 27" for a refund, continue using my 15" MacBook, then see if Apple launch a 21" iMac. If they don't, then I could always re-purchase the 27". In a few months, they'll probably update the 27" anyway.